54

Nathan

'We were slowly drifting apart and I could feel it. Whenever we hung out or went on dates, it was as if she was miserable. I didn't want to pry but I love her too damn much to idle by.

On the days when I wasn't with her, I was swarmed with college applications and schools constantly calling for meetings or just to see if I was interested. I knew it wasn't because of my grades but because of my father's money and connections. He wanted me to attend the same college that he had and to follow down his path, but I knew that's not what I wanted for my future. I remained in my dark hole of a room to rot and be an older, tired man like him. The last thing I needed was to neglect the ones that I love.

"Nathan, I need for you to pack your bag, we are heading to Harvard first and then we have a plane prepared two days after to Stanford. I perked up from my bed when he walked in and presented his plan; which he had made without talking to me first as usual.

"But Dad-" I was about to protest but he held up a hand and spoke again but with more professionalism and firmness as if I was one of his clients.

"Young man, please get out of bed, go get dressed and meet me downstairs in an hours because we have to be at the airport by 11:30." I turned to my alarm that read, 9:15 am and cringed at how early it was.

Why? I yelled in my head as I swung my leg around my bed once he stepped out of the room.

"Bastard," I curse under my breath and got up to do as he instructed. I couldn't even say goodbye to my girlfriend but nonetheless I would call her and keep her posted. I looked over to my nightstand and saw my phone sitting there. I leaned over to reach for it and as if on cue, it began to ring that special ringtone that indicated she was calling. I smiled as my heart raced and I rushed to the phone a bit quicker than usuam, answering almost immediately.

"Hey baby." I greeted.

"Hey sweetie," she greeted back a little cheerfully but then the line went silent as if she waited for me to question her.

"How'd you sleep?" I wondered and she took a deep breath before answering.

"Pretty bad, again." was all she said and then she sighed. "I'm sorry for how I've been acting lately and it's not even your fault." She opened an old chapter that I thought we fixed but I guess not.

"It's fine babe. I know you're having a hard time and the last thing you need is pressure." I stated in a calm tone, hoping that I wouldn't screw up the mood.

"I know, but that's no excuse... I hope I didn't wake you... it's just that I need to talk to you about some things that are really important." I felt my chest tighten when she said the words 'I need to talk to you'. It's just the way her voice lowered and was hoarse.

"What about?" I asked not bothering to ask if she wanted to meet up because I knew I wouldn't be in town for a week and I wanted to talk while the topic was fresh.

"I want to talk to you... well, in person." she hesitated and coughed as if to clear her throat but I knew what that meant. It wasn't good at all.

"Well, I really want to talk to you too. I miss you like crazy and I'm dying to see your face, but..." I paused and looked at the pale wall in front of me that held nothing. "I'm going to be out of town, visiting schools with my father." I groaned inwardly and the thought.

"OH," was all I heard... followed by quiet.

"Baby, how 'bout we talk when I get back." I suggested and braced myself.

"Well, I uh...I guess." I heard the disappointment in her voice and grew a bit angry and the circumstances and timing of everything.

"Are you going to be ok?" I was growing concerned for her.