Chapter 20: Satin

Note: Just ignore any typos for now. If this chapter is not clear or is just plain confusing, let me know so that I can edit, okay? >_<

Don't forget to vote and comment too! Thank you. >_<

                                                xXxXxXxXxXxXx

We came back to the carnival but nothing has changed since we left earlier. The same happy scenes played before us and everyone seemed to be having so much fun. Some stared at us curiously especially at Tia and me since we got rips on our clothes and some cuts on our bodies were still in the process of healing. No one made quite a commotion though since it's a carnival and freaks or such attractions were everywhere.

"Caleb, where is she?" I asked, almost jumping at the sight of any little girl.

"She's moving so fast; I can't pin down her location." He sounded frustrated. He also looked alert. Must be adrenaline rush. He was pretty much shaken by the idea that Beelzebub will go on a killing spree.

"Maybe we should separate and search different areas," Tia suggested, her fists clenching and unclenching. Her eyes had the same wary look as Caleb. She was also quick to look at certain places; her body language saying that she's ready to fight.

Raina was a mess. She was shaking uncontrollably and was pale. If someone pokes her, she'd definitely scream and pass out. She was clutching Caleb's jacket, trailing behind, looking from side to side with her worries and fear from earlier escalating to the ridiculous level.

"We have to stick together. We're more vulnerable to mind games when we're apart and with this crowd, it would be difficult to call each other's attention," Caleb replied, trying to concentrate amidst the noise and his own turmoil.

When a scream broke through the loud music, our heads jerked to look at the direction it came from. It was a desperate scream, like the kind you hear before a person meets his gruesome end. Without any hesitation, we ran to the location and stopped near the fortune teller's tent where a crowd was gathered. The screaming continued and it seemed to have come from the back of the tent. We forged our way past the crowd to find the source of the screaming but it stopped when we reached the front.

"Did you know that one hundred humans were sacrificed to appease me the first time I was summoned from Hell?" The little girl's voice echoed but it seemed like the four of us were the only ones who could hear it.

"Show yourself!" Caleb shouted, taunting the demon prince to face us. A few people stared at us but the fortune teller called their attention again with her tricks. It was an advantage somehow since we didn't want to draw attention to what we were doing and we must definitely avoid getting exposed as who we are.

The response we got was a haunting child's playful laughter. The scream resumed and this time, it sounded like a group of people.

"My favorites were disemboweled and beheaded sacrifices. The screams of tortured humans feed my being. Can you hear that? The tortured souls in Hell. Music to my ears... In a while, it will become a reality here."

"These people have nothing to do with us!"

"Caleb," I said under my breath as a warning. The screaming was disturbing. It almost sounded like animals being slaughtered.

"Want a demonstration?"

After saying that, the little girl suddenly floated from behind the tent. She was smiling evilly at us; her skin still as it was after Tia's giant fireball engulfed her. She raised her right arm, her soggy flesh desperately clinging to the bones and two awestruck men from the crowd floated just above us. They both looked amazed, probably thinking that it's a magic trick and they were the chosen volunteers from the audience. The rest of the crowd cheered and applauded at the "trick". They didn't notice the hideous little girl hovering for they were so engrossed with the levitation.