Chapter 17: Satin

Note: Again, just ignore any typos for now like the rest of the chapters. I will edit everything some other time. Votes and comments are greatly appreciated to motivate me and help me improve the story. Thank you! >_<

                                                xXxXxXxXxXxXx

"Get away from me, Raina!"

I was startled awake by Caleb's raised voice. Even more by the abundance of irritation in it. He rarely raises his voice nor does he get annoyed easily. I tried to tune him out but his voice was accompanied by scurrying footsteps, heavy scurrying footsteps. I resorted to burying my head under two pillows and tried to sleep again. Chairs being dragged joined the footsteps and the shouting continued.

"I said get away from me!"

Fat chance I'm getting any more sleep.

"I just want a morning hug, darling!" It's obvious. Raina was chasing Caleb.

It was really getting on my lack-of-sleep morning nerves. "Will you lovebirds keep it down?! Some people are trying to get some sleep here." I turned to the other side, grumbling, "Fucking ruckus so early in the morning."

"No!"

"But darling!"

"Stop calling me that too!"

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" I screamed and stomped out of the room, glaring. Caleb had the table between him and Raina. He looked utterly agitated. On a normal day, I would laugh at that. But today is not normal for me because my beauty sleep was interrupted! "What the fuck is going on here?!"

"Good morning, Satin. I made breakfast!" Raina announced with a wide smile, exuding an irritating kind of sunshiny mood.

"She won't stop harassing me!" My partner complained, pulling out a chair and sitting heavily, brooding look in place.

I sighed heavily and drag a hand through my messy hair. "You do realize that it is not funny, Raina, when I don't get enough sleep, don't you?" I narrowed my eyes at her to drive my point.

She continued to smile and coiled her arms around my left arm to lead me to an empty chair. "Breakfast will fix that." She sounded too confident about herself. "You will start feeling much better after you have eaten. I promise."

I glanced at Caleb. Still can't read her mind? He shook his head a little. I sighed again and slumped against the chair. I planned to ask him last night about not being able to read Raina's mind, but the woman wouldn't leave his side. She really does stick to him like a leech. I also planned to ask him about the scarred man. I just know that he knows something.

"Breakfast for royalty." Raina placed a plate in front of me. A tall stack of pancakes and a mountain of sausages. Enough to feed ten men at least.

"Where's my plate?" I asked, pushing the plate to the center of the table.

Still smiling at me, she turned away as she answered my question. "That's your plate."

My mouth dropped open. It was like a slap. "What am I? A pig? Not even Caleb could finish that much."

"But you're so skinny, Satin. You need to fatten up a bit."

Either Raina is too smart to notice my bad mood or she's really trying to push me. So insulting my intelligence wasn't enough? Now she insults my figure?

"I'll take half of that." Caleb said, kicking me under the table.

My nose flared and I tried to calm down. When I looked down to my hands, I have unconsciously frozen the edge of the table. I smiled even when all I wanted to do was to freeze the insensitive bitch. Caleb kicked me again and warned me with his eyes. I rolled my eyes and started eating. Miss Genius seemed so at ease in the kitchen like a happy little wife. She also served us coffee and the dose of caffeine made me feel much better. A little less nastier towards our guest. Then she joined us at the table, throwing glances at Caleb and smiling demurely.