Chapter 10

Brendon made his way downstairs, trying to come up with a different plan to get Ella. While all the other adults were in the kitchen, laughing like mad, Brendon was standing in the middle of the living room, drinking his last glass of champagne as he looked at the decorated Christmas tree. He sighed once he found a small drop of champagne left. It was at that time that he decided that it would be best to leave. Walking out of the living room, Brendon walked into the crowded room filled with adult laughter and cheer, placing his glass in the sink. "All done, Brendon? I brought out another bottle for all of us." Brendon softly smiled, shaking his head. "Its getting late. I need to head home and get everything ready for work tomorrow." Ms. Carey, Ella's mom, nodded. "Ok, then. Hopefully, we can all have another get together quite soon." Brendon said goodbye, then took one last look around the room before walking down the long, dark hall towards the front door. What Brendon noticed when he walked away was that Mr. Wilson wasn't with the other adults. He probably left, but Brendon felt like he could still grab Ella if he wanted to. Just as he got to the front door, he looked up the dark staircase, shaking his head as if he were telling himself 'no'. Walking out into the cold winter air, Brendon continuously found himself getting conflicted with himself. It was hard for him to shake it off since he couldn't stop thinking about what he was going to do. 

Back inside the Careys' household, Ella slowly came to, looking around her dark bedroom. She groaned, rubbing her eyes as she tried to search for her lamp. Once that was turned on, Ella looked around again, trying to remember what had happened before she randomly fell asleep. 'Maybe it was all just a dream.'