Chapter 46

I lay down near Alexa and put my sunglasses on. The sun is heating my skin faster than I would've thought  it would, and joining Marcel and Zayn in the lake seems appealing right now, but tanning still seems like a better idea.

"Are you sleeping?" I ask Alexa. It wouldn't be the first time she falls asleep whilst tanning.

"No."

"So what's up with the quietness? You're never this quiet."

"Eh. There aren't many things to be loud about right now."

"Did something happen while you were at the Death Valley with Zayn?"

"No. And that's exactly the problem."

I stay quiet, hoping she will vent or something, but she doesn't say anything else. I watch as Zayn and Marcel have a competition to see who can stay the longest underwater. Marcel shoots up after Zayn, and the biggest grin spreads on his face. He points at Zayn and laughs like a little boy, just as my heart melts inside my ribcage.

"I'm absolutely bored." Alexa admits.

"So am I."

"We should go to Vegas." she blurts out and I look at her frowning.

"What?"

"I'm just saying, it's Spring Break. We're supposed to get drunk and spend our mornings being hungover at an expensive hotel's pool, not near a filthy lake."

"It was your idea to come here..."

"Shit, I know. I thought that being away from people with Zayn would repair things between us but I didn't realise my ideas always suck and that a hot guy from Arizona would come and give me very inviting looks and I'd lose my dignity and sleep with him. Fuck's sake, I regret it and also don't. So far this trip has been bullshit. And I know you and Marcel hate camping, so let's just go to Vegas."

"I never asked my parents for enough money to go to Vegas with."

"My dad's there. He'll pay for everything."

"I also don't have appropriate clothes for Las Vegas."

"Have you ever heard of shopping? And do not say you have no money because that's what rich parents are for. Credit cards and stuff." She grins.

"Okay. Fine."

"Yeah?!"

"Yes. But let me talk to mom first."

After I finish talking to my mom and Alexa talks to the boys, Marcel sits beside me, rubbing his wet hair with a towel.

"We're going to Vegas then." he smiles.

"Yes. You want to go, don't you?"

"Of course. Las Vegas with you." he beams. The biggest smile spreads on my face, and then Alexa and Zayn shoo us off the blanket.

We pack everything before leaving, tents and food and all, and get on our way about one hour later. We stop to have lunch somewhere along the road, and then everyone except Zayn, who's driving, goes to sleep in the car.

I wake up again when the car comes to a stop next to a gas pump. Alexa rushes out as Zayn and Marcel argue over who will fill up the tank. I follow Alexa inside and head to the bathroom.

"Alexa?"

"Yeah." she answers from one of the stalls. I make my way to one.

"How long have you guys been awake?"

"Marcel woke up half an hour ago, I woke up fifteen minutes before him."

"Oh."

"Did we wake you up?"