Kiss of Revenge Ch. 18.5

Kiss of Revenge Ch. 18.5: Preluded Kiss

Cassandra's POV:

I was seating on one of the chairs in the waiting area near the wall. Eric just came in with some cheap coffee he bought on the vending machine down the hallway and handed it to me. I just looked at it then looked at him as if he's mocking me.

"Really?" I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders like he doesn't care if I accept it or not. I did not. I do not settle. Though today's been exhausting, I must admit, I'll probably drink whiskey later. He put the coffee on the chair between us. He looks exhausted too. He's been with me since I called him after I found out what happened to Charles. Again, I did not make any direct damage on him, that's probably why he tolerates me, but did not like me enough to bought a decent coffee. Sigh.

Just when I inclined my head to the wall and closed my eyes for some rest, the doctor came in and asked for Charles' relatives. Both my parents stood up and went directly to him. Me? I sat there with my eyes closed trying to get the rest I deserve.

"Hindi ka pupunta dun?" Eric asked. I looked at him sideways while my head's leaning at the wall. "Saang dun?"

Then he looked at where my parents at with the doctor. "Why? He'll survive if he wants to. We've done our part." I replied then I stood up to leave.

"Saan ka pupunta?" he asked.

"Out. I need a break from all this." I said.

I gathered my purse and my phone and walked out of the waiting room down the hallway out of the hospital to the smoking area.

It was already dawn when I walked out of the building. I lost track of time. I was never this selfless. I sighed for the nth time today as I sat on the bench of the smoking area.

I took my cigarette box out of my purse and lit one stick. I made a long drag and a hard puff as I sighed the smoke out of my lungs. The smoke dance before my eyes, mocking me too for being alive. For not being the one lying on the hospital bed and dying.

Charles is not in a critical condition. As far as I know he just needs some operation that I know the doctors of this hospital can perform with perfect precision. It's his decision now if he wants to stay. Which is also why my mother told the story of her giving birth to us. You see, so much in living lies on your will to live. Other people can try to save you, but if you do not need saving, there's only so much one can do for the other.

I know. I speak through experience. That's why I am still here. My will to survive and to fight for myself is strong enough to make me stay. And trust me, wills do not come in handy. Through life you'll lose it. You'll lose it so many times you'll think that you'll run out of will to live. But that's the beauty of living. You don't just get one will all through out. It differs. It varies. It depends.

Damn it. Who am I preaching?

I made one last drag and threw the cigarette butt away just when I saw a familiar car pulled up in front of the hospital. Then came out Nicole and her family, including her brother Jacob. They must have waited for her daughter first and tried explaining the situation. They know. What's with Eric's hourly update?

Before they all got in, I saw Nicole saw me too while I watch them. First comes the recognition, then the hatred, then lastly she switched to sympathy. She's easy to read. Very vulnerable when it comes to family.

I didn't accept her sympathy and I just walked to my car and started the engine. I'm out. I am no longer needed. I believe Charles already have all the people who loved him to force him out of his dramatic situation.

But before I drive back home I remember someone who he needed most. I left a message for her. I knew after a few hours she'll come running while crying to this hospital.

I smiled.