Chapter 29

A little while later, Brooke woke up. Her head hurt a little bit as she tried to remember what had happened and when she did, she stood up, but a little too quickly.

"Hey, be careful." James murmured beside her. She glanced over at him then around the room.

"Where are we?"

"The backroom. When you passed out, several people suggested you go to the hospital but I insisted you were fine. They then told me to take you here..." James trailed off as he answered Brooke's question.

"How long have I been out?"

James glanced down at his watch before supplying her with an answer.

"About thirty minutes now."

Brooke started getting anxious and upset because she knew Scott was gone.

"I want to ask what happened but I kinda already know." James stated in a quiet voice. Brooke glanced down at the floor sheepishly before looking up at James with regret.

"I'm sorry..."

James scoffed before staring at Brooke in a disgusted manner.

"When I heard what his sentence was, I couldn't believe it. I mean, all of the memories we shared came back to me and it upset me knowing that today was the last time I'd ever see him again." Brooke continued.

James sighed before rubbing his forehead.

"If you have any unfinished business with him, then you need to settle it. I don't want to marry a woman who is in love with another man." James stated coldly.

Brooke's heart shattered as she realized that James was right. Maybe there was unfinished business with Scott.

"I'm sorry, James. I love you so much and I still want to get married but, I need to talk to him. I need to clear the tension between us so there is none between us."

James gave her a short smile before raising his hand and stroking her cheek.

"I'll be at the hotel if you need me. Then after that, if you get on the same flight as me, then I'll know that you made your decision. Otherwise, I'll understand." James admitted before walking out of the room.

It took Brooke a moment before her feet started moving and before she knew it, she was chasing after Scott. She needed to find him before he was transported to Terre Haute.

When Brooke got outside, she couldn't see the van that was supposed to transport him, as well as all the paparazzi had left.

Brooke didn't know what else to do so she hailed a cab and ordered the driver to take her to her hotel. She would have to deal with the fact that she never got to tell Scott how she was really feeling and she would have to keep that all bottled up inside of her.

As the cab driver was taking Brooke back to her hotel, going to opposite direction, was the van that Scott was presumably in.

"Make a U-turn and follow that van until I tell you to stop!" Brooke ordered the driver.

"And how long is that going to take?" He snapped.

"Don't fucking worry about it! You'll get your money as long as I get to my destination!"

The cab driver sighed as he continued to follow the van. Brooke hoped that it would pull into a gas station or something but it didn't. For 10 miles, it did not stop until it pulled into a rest area.

The cab driver turned around in his seat and glanced at Brooke.

"That'll be $113.43."

Brooke pulled out her wallet and gave him a $100 bill and a $20 bill, telling him to keep the change before climbing out of the car and rushing over to the van.