Chapter 18

The ride to the ball was courtesy of a limousine that James had ordered. It was extravagant but James insisted that they should "blend in".

When they arrived, James got out first before offering Brooke his hand, which she took.

They walked arm in arm, to the entrance where they were to tell their names and see if they were on the list. Brooke knew that they were not but somehow, when they gave their names, the guards let them in.

When they got inside, Brooke was amazed at the decorations. The color scheme was black, red and gold and it was beautiful.

The floor was white marble while there were atleast one hundred tables with a black tablecloth on each. Red roses were placed in vases on each table. The silverware on the tables was made with 24 karat gold and there was a bottle of expensive champagne on each table for the guests.

The ceiling had four large chandeliers that were also made of gold. On the walls, gold ribbon was carefully draped and red roses were placed in vases attached to the walls.

There was a dance floor where people could dance and a live band including a red grand piano.

There was a bar where alcoholic refreshments were being served and that was the clue that Brooke might be the youngest person here.

James guided Brooke over to a table where they sat down. James opened the bottle of champagne and poured a glass for each of them.

Brooke stared at the bubbling drink them at James.

"I'm eighteen. I can't drink!" Brooke whispered to him quietly.

"The legal drinking age here is eighteen so don't worry about it." James whispered back.

Brooke nodded her head once before taking a sip of the drink. For it being her first alcoholic drink, it tasted pretty good.

James stood up and offered Brooke his hand where she took ahold of it and he guided towards a group of people.

"Nikita, I'd like you to meet my date. This is Brooke Eastwood." James spoke suddenly to a blonde women in her late twenties.

"Brooke, this is Nikita Petrov, an old friend of mine."

Nikita held out her hand and gently shook Brooke's with a smile.

"So nice to meet you. I am glad that James has decided to settle down." She replied in a thick Russian accent.

Brooke's eyes widened at her comment but before Brooke could protest, James spoke up.

"Yes well it was about time to anyway."

After James chatted with her for a few more minutes, he pulled Brooke towards the dance floor.

There was a slow song on and they danced in the same position as they did at Brooke's prom.

"So we're settling down, huh?" Brooke stated as she raised both of her eyebrows.

"If I said that you were just a friend, these men would've been on you like fresh meat." James admitted. Brooke chuckled.

"So how do you know these people?"

"Why do you think I know Russian?" He challenged with a raised eyebrow. Brooke's eyes widened.

"I never would've guessed that you have Russian genes." Brooke stated in a shocked tone.

James and Brooke danced until the song was over. James then guided Brooke over towards a wall at the back of the room.

"Don't look now but, I've just spotted Scott and he's with another woman."

Brooke's heart stopped when he said that Scott was here with another woman. Was it true? Was he in a relationship with another woman? Was Darien actually right?

"He's in a burgundy suit and she's in a red gown." James clarified so Brooke could spot them easier.

Brooke carefully glanced around the room and when she spotted him, her heart broke into a million pieces.

There he was, with his arm around her waist while they chatted with another couple. Something they said was apparently funny because Scott and the woman erupted into laughter.

Brooke stormed away from James and towards the entrance doors. James called after her but she ignored him.

When Brooke got outside, she sniffled. She didn't dare cry because she wasn't going to let her feelings about Scott ruin her makeup.

"Hey. Are you ok?" James asked softly as he put a hand on her shoulder. Brooke whipped around and stared at him.

"Who is she?" She seethed. She could guarantee that James knew exactly who she was and that pissed her off even more.

"Tanya Smirnov. She's also a Russian spy. She's the one who recruited him." James stated in a solemn voice. He didn't want to tell Brooke who she was but then again, he had to. She had to know who she was competing with.

"Are they intimate?" Brooke asked through clenched teeth.

"No. Although, she had made multiple passes on him to which he has shot down."

Brooke felt relieved but knowing this woman wanted Scott still made her upset.

"Let's just go back inside." Brooke commanded. James nodded his head and held out his arm for her to take which she did.

When Brooke and James went inside, James told Brooke he was going to go grab her a drink from the bar, something stronger than the champagne she'd had earlier.

"You are very lucky." A voice said behind her. Brooke whipped around to see Nikita gesturing to James.

"Yeah, I am." Brooke added with a smile.

"I've known him since we were kids. His father was friends with mine. They were co-workers." She confessed. Brooke smiled at James off in the distance before directing her attention towards Nikita.

"Before I say anymore, I just want you to know that we've always been friends. Nothing serious. He's not really my type." Nikita added suddenly. Brooke chuckled.

"It's fine. I'm not usually the jealous type." Brooke admitted although that was sort of a lie.

Brooke glanced back at James and froze. He was in a heated conversation with some guy in a burgundy suit. There was a woman with him and she was smirking at James.

Brooke looked back at Nikita.

"Excuse me for a moment." Brooke remarked before she quickly walked over to James. She paused behind Scott, unable to believe that she was even in his presence.

"Hello Scott."