Harry for Con Part 3

a/n: I got a bit carried away.

I set the order on the table smiling at the family. It was a mum and dad with a little girl about Darcy’s age. The thought it me harshly, that could have been us. We could have had that. But we didn’t and we don’t. I doubted we ever would. I knew a day would come when I would see on the news that he’d been shot and killed. And that would be the day that I would have to tell her that was Daddy. That would be the day that I told her Daddy left us. He left us for work, for money, and never looked back.

Turning away I choked away what emotions jumped in my throat. Untying my apron I collected my cash, grabbed my bag, and walked out. Jumping into my car I drove to the sitters picking up Darcy. I pulled out some cash giving her the money and trying my best to get home. Today was one of those days. One of the days I thought of quitting the shitty job leaving the shitty apartment and going home begging to my parents for help. But I can’t, and I won’t. They didn’t know about Darcy and I intended to keep it that way.

Bouncing our two year old on my hip I walked into our flat removing her rain jacket and mine. I was left in one of the many t-shirt dresses I now owned. Sitting Darcy on the counter I turned to the fridge. “What would my little baby girl like to eat?”

“Big girl.” She said correcting me. She was absolutely nothing like me. She was Harry made over, same light curly hair that was already getting darker, same complex green eyes; she even has his goddamn dimples.

“Right, I’m sorry, big girl.”

“Easy for ew.” She cooed. I knew this was bad parenting, but I handed her a giant cookie I had brought home the other day. It’s not like she’d care. I was going for a cupcake when the phone rang.

I was to the point of tears from working seven to seven, but managed to answer the phone with a pleasant tone. “Hello.”

“Is this Mrs. Styles?” my heart stopped at the name, I clenched the hem of my dress in fear. It had been ages since I was called that, Harry would all the time, but no one had since he left.

“Yes this is she.”

“Your husband was detained early thing morning and you’re his one phone call. Here he is.” My hand flew to my mouth as I picked Darcy up and carried her and the phone over to her room.

Sitting her down I took a seat in the rocking chair. It didn’t surprise me he’d get caught. That’s what caused us to run away, that’s what caused us to think we could get by. But we couldn’t. Love wasn’t that strong of an emotion to prevent that. He knew this and he left. He went off to do whatever the hell he wanted, probably did at least a dozen girls for money, invested, stole, smoked, drank, injected every illicit substance in existence. Yet, even at this thought I still wore his ring. For a year and few months we had it perfect. He was a good enough man that stayed with me through the pregnancy and the first few months of Darcy being here. He could’ve jumped ship when I told him, but I was his wife and he loved me.

There was a silence on the line before a thick husky voice called out, “Con.” I collapsed back into the chair at the sound.