Harry for Ariana

My fingers shook with nerves as my eyes watered in tears. I was scared. I was petrified. I wanted to go throw myself of a bridge and get run over by an eighteen wheel semi-truck at the same time. The stupid test was positive. The stupid doctor was positive. Everything was stupid and wrong. I emptied my stomach once again, flushed the toilet, and got up.

Grabbing some crackers from the counter I stared at the phone hanging on my wall. My dark hair was curling near my stomach in almost a protective way.  I could feel the metallic taste start to fill my mouth while a sob shook through my chest. I hated the thought of all of this. I hated the thought of him hating for the rest of my life, sure he was a one night stand, but he was my best friend.

Picking up the phone I punched in his number, trying to keep myself together.

“Hello?” his thick, slow voice greeted in confusion.

“Harry.” Was all I could sigh, I had lost the brief feeling of confidence.

“Ariana? Hey babe! What’s up?”

“Can you come over? I-I need you.” I cried curling over onto myself.

“Of course, I’ll be over.” He assured me, hanging up.

I managed to heave myself onto my couch sobbing into the pillow with harsh realization. I was pregnant with my best friend’s baby after a drunken, drug infused one night stand. I could hear the door open; I knew it would be him. I could feel his presence beside, all dark and dangerous. From squinted eyes I could see his tattooed hand stretching out to stroke my back, curling around the long curls.

“What’s up? Huh? What’s wrong?”  He massaged his palm over the skin, probably having forgotten all about that night.

“Harry, I’m so sorry!” I wailed turning onto my back to clutch at his hand.

“Ariana, calm down, you need to breathe. Why are you sorry?” His piercing green eyes were reading me like a book; I could feel his gaze in the deepest depth of my soul.

“Harry, do you remember that night, couple months ago?” I sniffled doing my best not to make eye contact.

His plump lips turned up into a smile, well, more of a smirk. “Yes. Is that what this is about? I’m sorry I haven’t taken this up yet, I’m sorry I haven’t talked about it. You probably think I’m a dick now, don’t you? The truth is I love you Ariana on more than the friend way.”

“I’m pregnant.” It just slipped.

His eyes bugged out in a concerned way, before reaching out to grab my elbows. “What?”

“I’m sorry! I don’t know if we didn’t have a condom, or if it broke but, but, but” a watery hiccup cut me off.

His lips pursed pushing out metal, before pulling back in. He tousled his hair, giving his face a light smack. “Damn it!” he hissed.

“I’m-“

“Don’t apologize, don’t. This on me, this is all on me. You sure?” I threw the test and sonogram at him.

Rubbing at his eyebrows in debate, “Okay, okay. You know when I said I loved you, I mean it. I don’t know about you but I like the idea of us having a baby together.”

“You, you do?” I stuttered, whipping at my eyes.

“Of course, baby girl. Don’t you? Didn’t that night mean anything to you? It meant a hell of a lot to me.” Harry crawled up onto the couch hovering above me, his knuckled hands grazing over my stomach.

“It meant a hell of a lot to me too.” I whispered exasperated.

“Well then, you need to move in with me, and shit, we should get married! Oh God there’s so much to do, and so little time!” Harry shouted jumping up running around my living room.

“Harry! Harry, hey Harry!”

He ran back to be, concern filling his eyes. “What do you need?”

“Crackers, Sprite, that’d be nice.” I said meekly giggling as Harry ran to my kitchen, maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all.