Ch 36: Brazilian Soap-Opera, No Joke

Brazilian Soap-Opera, No Joke: Airi 

                I got out of the cab, paying the driver who had kindly placed my bags onto the cement pathway. The trail of grey led to the entrance of the Brazilian inn I had chosen to stay at for a few days. When he waved an affable goodbye, I replied with a tight smile, trying to keep the useless tears from spilling. At that moment, I realized that I had underestimated the difficulties I would encounter.

*****

                “Sorry, no rooms available. If you haven’t made a reservation, you’re out of luck,” the man behind the computer replied to my request. He was about the age of fifty if not older and had a senile appearance which could be effortlessly noted by his squinting eyes and permanent frown.  I retaliated by giving the man an indifferent expression, hoping he would assume I wasn’t desperate. But I was and when the man did not give in, I begged.

                “Please. There has to be at least one room that’s not taken for tonight. Help me out here!” My fists tightened, turning my knuckles white. The anger seemed to claw its way up my throat forcing me to take it out on the poor old man who probably had a family he had to support with the money he earned as a front desk director.

                “I’m sorry Ma’am. I’ve checked capacity twice and there are no rooms free.” He gave me a look of pity, something I wasn’t in need of. It was about three in the morning and all I did need was a quiet, isolated room where I could peacefully think. Taking a sharp turn, I walked towards the door, biting my lip until I could feel the slight taste of blood.  All of a sudden, a tall body in white and blue stripes blocked my way to the exit. I took a glance upward, seeing a familiar face.

                “Airi!” Rhys, Liam’s unfavorable cousin came towards me with his arms out wide, gesturing I give him a hug. The lingering scent of beer made it obvious that he had come from a late night party. “Why the hell are you here? Shouldn’t you be making hot, sweaty love to Kiko?” My head stooped down and later did his arms.  “Look, Airi if you want to talk—.”

                “No, I don’t want to talk about it. Actually, can I ask you a favor?” When he saw the water hovering above the rim of my eyes, he nodded a subtle yes.

******

                “Thanks again for getting me this room.” I threw my stuff onto the bed to give Rhys a handshake of gratitude.  I was sure as hell lucky that his family owned a branch of the company and that the guy behind the desk was a family friend.

                “Yeah no problem. I’ll be in the room next door.”

                “Wait, don’t you have a home?” I gave him a puzzled look, genuinely confused.

                “I’m living here temporarily. That way I can sneak in girls whenever I want without going through the trouble of coming up with a believable explanation for the parents.” Usually, I would take something like this very lightly and probably give a little laugh, but today, hearing that left me appalled. Keeping in mind that he had gotten me the room, I kept my thoughts to myself and gave him a dull nod.

When Rhys exited my room, I fell into bed, lying stiff as a rock. Here I was, given the opportunity to think and analyze, yet I couldn’t. By couldn’t I mean mentally impossible. Do I love him like that, or I am just in “like” rather than in “love”? Why isn’t sex enough for me? Why do I care so much what his parents think? Am I bored?  By this point, I didn’t even know what I was asking myself.  I stayed in bed, eventually climbing into the covers to sleep for whatever remained of the night.