Chapter Twenty-One - What Happiness Looks Like

Jordan tried to grab my hand as we exited the terminal, but I slyly slipped it away from him, switching Damen's leash into the hand. 

Ever since my mother had told me about how Jordan had immediately declined that I was not to undergo the experimental surgery, I've been giving him the cold shoulder.

I heard Jordan sigh quietly next to me, clearly becoming quite annoyed with the constant ignorance I was presenting him with.

"Ok, seriously, what the hell is going on, Haven," he breathed out, whining. "You won't even let me hold your hand!"

"I have Damen for a reason," I replied quickly, readjusting my sunglasses. "I don't need you to guide me around everywhere."

"Who said I'm doing that?! I just want to hold my girlfriend's hand, is that a problem?" he inquired as we continued to walk through the throng of people in front of us.

"No, I'm good, thanks," I said, a smirk sliding into my face lightly as he sighed loudly again.

--

"Finally," I breathed out quietly as we slid all of the suitcases into the condo and the air conditioning hit me. 

Damen immediately lurched forward, his leash leaving my grasp as he began to loudly sniff the surrounding, trying to find an easy way to help me navigate through the furniture in the future.

"Well now you need my help, don't you, Haven?" I heard Jordan whisper into my ear, kissing my cheek lightly as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

I quickly grabbed his arms and pulled them away, smiling sweetly. "No thanks, I've been here, and I have pretty good memory. And also, the best way for me to learn about a surrounding is by doing it myself, thanks, though," I said, feigning genuine, although I was still furious with him.

"Oh my god, Haven!" he finally exclaimed, stomping his foot angrily. "You've been like this since we left Edmonton!"

"I just want to be alone, okay?" I hissed back, trying to move forward, but already jamming my toe onto the corner of a wall. "Shit," I hissed in pain as I doubled over, my pinky toe pounding.

I stepped forward again, but I hit my head against the same wall. "Shit!" I cursed again, rubbing my forehead.

"Just let me help you!" Jordan said loudly, already rushing forward and scooping me up into his arms.

"Stop it! Jordan! Stop it!" I screamed, pounding against his chest as he tensed it in slight pain. "Let me down, damn it!"

He dropped me onto the sofa, and I immediately sat up, boiling with anger. "I told you! I didn't need any fucking help!" I screamed, throwing my arms in the air.

"Yes, you do, Haven!" he retorted. "You can't see where you're walking! I just want to help you get settled!"

"I wouldn't need any god damn help if you'd let me go through with the fucking surgery!" I hollered, my voice shrill and my throat sore.

His loud breathing hitched as the words escaped my mouth. "How the hell did you know about that," he said, his voice low.

"If you were about to go through a surgery, I'm pretty sure your mom would know, Jordan," I hissed. "You didn't even fucking tell me, what the hell!" I raised my voice again, getting up, throwing my arms into the air.

He grabbed my forearms in his hands, and I attempted to wriggle them out of his grasp. "Let me go!" I hollered. "Let my arms go, Jordan!"

"Haven, we can talk about this--" he began while I was still thrashing around in his arms, my hair flying around and sticking to my face.