Reverie

Chapter 60 -  

You're not real, you can't be real…this is just a dream… 

Reuben smiled, his eyes glowing a dark crimson. 

"My dear Isabella, even in sleep you think of me! I really do feel flattered..." 

This couldn't be happening. 

"You can't be here" I heard myself whisper, as he stepped in closer to me. 

"Yet, here I am! Called into your dream, as if my magic… called by you! I am gratified Isabella, you play upon my vanity exceedingly well…." 

He isn't real, he's a figment of my imagination… yes, that's all he is… all I need to do is wake up and he'll vanish… 

"Ah, and now… now you are wondering if I am real? Yes? Am I merely a part of your thought process, or have I somehow managed to infiltrate your dream as easily as I penetrated your waking world?" 

Count to three, Bella. 

Count to three, and open your eyes… 

"I suppose I could tell you. I seemingly have the upper hand in our little game. Honestly Isabella, it really is no fun when the finishing line approaches, and I am in the lead…with no competition whatsoever near me…" 

One… 

"I am in your thoughts Bella, awake or asleep…" 

Two… 

"You've placed me here, now. But when you awake, I shall be waiting…" 

Three… 

''Farewell for now, Isabella. I'll be seeing you, very soon…" 

"No" 

I felt myself sit bolt upright in bed, covers thrown back as my hands wrestled with the sheets. 

I was perspiring. 

I was also shaking uncontrollably. 

"Bella, it's okay, it was just a dream…" 

Alice's hand was on the small of my back as she reached out to take one of my hands in hers. 

Just a dream. 

Perhaps, but it had felt so very real… 

"I… he… I had a dream about him" I mumbled as I brought my loose hand to my forehead. 

"Shh, it's alright Bella" Alice whispered as I turned to face her, still shaking. Without another word Alice pulled me close, her embrace soothing and cooling. 

I felt myself merge into her, as I burrowed my face into her neck. 

I'll be seeing you very soon… 

His words made me shudder into Alice. It may have been my own subconscious that fed those words into my dream, but somehow I just knew they were merely echoes of the truth. 

"I hate this Alice, I hate feeling so powerless" I murmured into her neck as her hands started to stroke the strands of my hair away from my face and down my neck. I felt her lips graze the top of my head as she continued with her soothing caress. 

"I know" she simply answered, as she shifted on the bed, pulling me into her side. 

"But I promise, he won't harm you Bella" her voice was thick with emotion as she wrapped her strong arms around me, "ever" she finished, as I leaned up to face her amber eyes.