Family

Chapter 18 – 

Carlisle was around three hundred and fifty years old. 

Three hundred and fifty. 

Those numbers were still careering around my brain when I entered the living room. 

The living room that now housed every single member of the Cullen family. I swallowed, bit at my bottom lip again, and walked towards the empty seat that was next to Alice. 

"Is lemonade okay, Bella" Esme asked, a look of concern on her face. 

"That's fine, thank you" I replied, as I took the glass from her outstretched hand. 

Everyone seemed to watch as I took a sip. I guess they weren't familiar with people using glasses in their house to consume liquids… 

Emmet spoke next, standing near the large fireplace that seemed to be the focal point of the room "I think tomato juice would have gone down a treat – or maybe, even blood orange…" 

Rosalie, standing by his side, gave him a sharp elbow to his ribs, but he didn't even flinch. 

"Maybe next time" I heard myself reply, a smile appearing on my face. I knew then that I was going to like Emmet. 

Alice inched a little closer to my side, and I felt myself return the motion. 

Rosalie linked her arm through Emmet's, "It was nice meeting you again, Bella, but I am afraid we have to be somewhere now…" 

Emmet interrupted, "what she means is, we need to hunt". 

I felt my mouth open slightly, as Alice placed her small hand on my thigh. 

Edward, sitting on the sofa across from me glanced at Emmet, and then back at me. 

He spoke softly, "Excuse Emmet, Bella – we're still trying to teach him the art of being tactful". 

Emmet laughed, "Sorry Bells – old habits die hard, if you're going to be part of this family, you may as well know it all from the start, right?" 

I nodded and placed my hand on top of Alice's subconsciously. 

If you're going to be part of this family… 

As a human? Or a vampire… 

Rosalie took hold of Emmet's elbow and pulled sharply, looking back at me she smiled apologetically, "See you at school Bella" and with that she practically pulled Emmet out of the room. 

Not deterred, the latter turned on his heels at the last minute and gave me a mock salute, a huge grin on his face. 

I found myself smiling back, his grin was almost contagious. 

Unlike Jaspers… 

I hadn't noticed him until now, as he was sat furthest away from me. His smile, if you could call it that, seemed rather strained. 

Carlisle's voice floated across the room, "Please excuse Emmet, Bella. He can be a little blunt at times, but he means well". 

I turned to face Carlisle, who was standing beside the seat occupied by Esme. 

My answer was steady. "It's okay, really. I'd rather be faced with the truth". 

And I knew then. Knew that the truth, though probably difficult to comprehend, was exactly what I sought. 

Esme rose from her seat steadily, "You are very gracious, Bella". 

I thanked her again as Alice interlaced her fingers through mine. She spoke gently, and my eyes were immediately on her.