Collision

Chapter 47 - 

Just keep walking Bella… 

"Such a… small thing…" 

His voice was deep, and literally sent a shiver along my spine. 

My head shot up to find a stranger with a classically sculptured face standing in front of me. 

I watched as he tilted his head, first to one side, and then to the other. 

Alice often did this, but when she did it… 

It was endearing. 

It made me smile. 

And it made me fall in love with her that bit more, if indeed that were possible. 

However, when he did it… 

It was chilling. 

It made me feel apprehensive. 

And it made me fear him. 

His gaze deepened, as he ran fingers through his short auburn locks. 

"You're very quiet, Isabella…" 

I watched as his eyes gleamed a deep crimson. Not amber, like melted honey. No. A dark red, like the fires of hell. 

Oh, he was beautiful… and I could almost have mistaken him for a member of the Cullen family if it hadn't been for those eyes… 

He knew who I was. 

As if reading my very thoughts, he smiled again, which sent another chill throughout my body. 

"I've been very remiss; allow me to introduce myself…." 

He walked over to me, then, and held out his hand. 

My eyes were on his fingers, long, pale and perfectly still. 

"Reuben" 

I looked back up to his face as his hand quickly took mine in his. 

Cold. 

Icy cold. 

Alice's touch was cold… but his was… almost arctic… 

His clasp was firm, as he shook my hand, still smiling. I noticed an amethyst stone as it gleamed on his index finger; it was almost as hypnotic as his watchful eyes as they continued to bore into me. 

I gulped as he release my hand and took a small step back. 

Still I couldn't find my voice. 

He… Reuben…was the nomadic vampire who had been… killing … people… 

And now, here he was, standing in front of me. 

No, towering, above me, with his lean torso that was hidden beneath a long, dark coat that flapped open now and again each time the wind caught the corners. 

His black shirt was open at the top, and my eyes darted to the black shoestring like necklace that was around his neck. A small piece of flat metal, no larger than a coin, hung with an unknown mark etched on its surface. 

Noticing my gaze he smiled again. It made me feel nauseous. 

"Inquisitive Isabella" he continued, as he brought his fingers to his neck, holding the piece of metal between the tips of two fingers. 

He was dangerous, that much I knew. 

And I was completely alone. 

His gaze was penetrating and hawkish.