Promise

Chapter 48 – 

Alice's POV 

Bella was safe. 

I held onto her shaking form tightly, perhaps a little too tightly, but I didn't care. 

Shaking… 

Was she shaking? Or was that me, trembling… 

Bella was safe. 

As I buried my face into her neck, I couldn't hold back the sigh of relief that recoiled deep inside me. 

She… 

Could… 

Have…  

Died… 

A small voice bounced around my brain. 

If Bella had died, I would cease to function… 

To lose her… 

I felt my entire being convulse at that thought, as Bella's arms were around me, her lips on my ear, her words soothing me… she was okay… okay… 

She was the one who had come this close to… 

I shuddered again. 

And here she was, comforting me … 

And she wasn't the only one, as I felt Esme's strong arms envelope us both. 

Safe. 

Bella was safe. 

And I would make sure she would always be safe, because I would find him … 

And I would lacerate his defences, terrorising every ounce of his being… he was mine to destroy… mine… 

I felt a hand on the small of my back, as Carlisle's soft voice floated around the room. 

"I need to check Bella, Alice" 

The blood. 

Bella's blood. 

Under different circumstances, I would have allowed myself a fleeting moment of conceit; Bella's blood still called out to me, softly and seductively… but I had controlled my thirst for it… 

But he had caused the blood… 

Not an accident… 

Him… 

I didn't need a vision to tell me what was going to happen. 

I was going to follow his every move. 

I was going to find him, and interrogate him. 

And then I was going to rip him apart… 

"Alice" Carlisle spoke again, as I took a small step back. 

Bella looked…. So tired, and pale, and…scared… 

I couldn't take this… 

I was going to hunt him down, and slowly inflict so much pain on him he would cry out and beg me for mercy… 

Only I wouldn't show him an ounce of mercy… only intolerable cruelty… 

"Alice, I really am okay" Bella whispered, as my gaze was immediately on her. 

She looked far from okay, and it was all his doing… 

Oh, I was looking forward to this… I'd make him pay for what he did to Bella…