Re-occurrence

Chapter 55 - 

Perhaps he has moved on… 

As I sat in another boring lesson, Rosalie's words were praying on my mind. 

Perhaps… 

And so were Alice's. 

I knew her. And I could detect the uncertainty in her reply. And I knew, deep down, I would encounter Reuben again. 

I didn't know how soon that encounter would take place, nor did I know what the circumstances would be. 

But I did know one thing… 

I would be alone.  

Isolated from Alice, the rest of her family, and Jake… 

I knew they wouldn't abandon me, but for some reason I knew I would be a single, solitary being when Reuben decided to seek me out, and play a new game… 

But what amusement would he have in store for me? 

The bell sounded, making me jump. As I closed and lifted my folder, something made me glance out of the window. 

I froze. 

It was him… 

Standing on the field to the side of the classroom, so far in the distance I found myself squinting a little… 

But I knew it was him. 

Almost as though he had read my very thoughts… 

What was I? 

His pastime? 

A happy distraction? 

A diversion to his daily monotonous routine? 

"Bella" 

I turned to face Mike who was handing me some notes the teacher had passed around the class. Taking them from him, my head shot back to look outside… 

He had gone. 

Dissolved… if only he could fade away from my memory as quickly… 

Okay… get a grip Bella… did you really see him? 

Yes… 

I swallowed hard, asking myself a question was bad enough, but to answer as well… 

"Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost or something" 

A ghost? 

I almost laughed at that. 

He was far worse than any ghost… 

"Yeah, I just thought I saw someone" I casually replied, as I lifted my bag and placed the strap across my shoulder. 

As I left the classroom, I found my eyes darting to everyone who passed me by. 

Reuben wouldn't venture inside, surely? Would he be that nonchalant? 

Did I even need to ask myself those questions when the answer was clear? 

Of course he would… 

"Would you like a lift home Bella? I noticed your truck was missing this morning" Mike asked as we continued to walk towards our lockers. 

A lift home… would he follow me? Follow me home? 

Nothing was making any sense. Edward, Emmet and Jasper had gone looking earlier for Reuben and they couldn't detect him…