Dr Cullen

Chapter 8 – 

To say I was nervous would be putting it gently. Not of the hospital. I'd visited enough of those over the years – sprained ankles, a broken wrist, dislocated fingers, one fractured rib – they didn't call me Blundering Bella at my old school for nothing. No, it wasn't the clinical setting that had caused me to shiver, but the thought of meeting Dr Carlisle Cullen. 

And shiver I had, which had caused Charlie to hold me even tighter to his side as he walked me down the white corridor, exclaiming to the nurse on his other side that I was "suffering from shock". I wasn't – until I saw Carlisle Cullen. 

A slightly older version of his adoptive sons, Carlisle had a handsome face with a pleasant smile. I felt plain in comparison – honestly, was it fair for such an attractive family to exist? Part of me recalled Angela's remark weeks earlier; "I wish they'd adopt me"… the thought was an appealing one. 

Charlie was the first to break the silence, "Carlisle, thank you so much for taking the time to see Bells…." 

Carlisle almost bowed, "It's no problem Charlie". 

He directed me to a small room and I perched on the edge of the bed. "Its okay dad, really, you can wait outside". I looked at Charlie who was frowning… "If you're sure…" 

"She is in safe hands Charlie, why don't you go and get yourself a coffee?” Carlisle had broke in. I was thankful when Charlie agreed, and walked out of the room. 

"So, what have we here?” Carlisle asked, moving the towel. My cut, though smaller than I first thought, was deeper than I realised. Once the pressure of the towel was removed, it started to pump more blood, dripping onto Carlisle's white gloved hands. 

"Knife cut" I replied, a little timidly – "I was cutting vegetables, and it… slipped…" 

Carlisle dipped his head and started to clean the wound. "It'll need a few stitches Bella, but soon you'll be as good as new". 

I thanked him and watched as he cleaned, stitched and then dressed my wound effortlessly. I may have only just met him, but I began to realise why Charlie rated him so highly, both in his profession and out of it. He made me feel safe, and was genuinely nice, so when he asked me how I was finding school, I answered immediately, my guard now dropped. 

"It's going okay, thank you. I've met some of your sons, and daughter… Alice". 

Carlisle stepped back and looked at me, "Yes, they mentioned you Bella… Alice tells me you're her lab partner?" 

I nodded. "Yes, I took notes for her when she was away from school, with her migraine". I watched Carlisle's face to see if his expression changed. It didn't. He still expressed friendliness. 

"Alice suffers from them, from time to time, but she is much better now" Carlisle carried on. And I believed him. "It was a very nice gesture, copying your notes for her Bella – Alice was very appreciative". 

I felt a slight glow, somewhere deep inside. "I'd do anything for her" was my immediate response. I then realised what I had said, and it startled me slightly. 

Carlisle smiled at me again, when he spoke his voice was soft and gentle, "Yes, Bella. I believe you would". 

I wanted to probe further about Alice, about all his children, but Charlie entered the room. 

"Bells, Carlisle – everything okay?" We both nodded. 

"I just need to prescribe Bella with some painkillers, and then she's all set to go" replied Carlisle, "just give me 10 minutes Charlie, I need to see another patient first" and with that he left the room. 

Charlie seemed a little worried. "Dad, are you okay" I asked. Charlie shook his head. 

"I've just got a call from the station, there's been a robbery and they need me there, like five minutes ago…" 

I stood up from the bed, "Dad, go – seriously, I have my mobile – I'll grab a taxi home, or I'll call a friend to come and collect me". 

Charlie shook his head, "You're injured Bells, I can't just leave you…" 

I interrupted, "Injured? Dad, it's a small cut – I'm absolutely fine, go!" I laughed and Charlie smiled. He was about to continue when a petite form rushed into the room, colliding with me. 

"Whoa" was my reply as the wind was almost knocked out of my lungs. I steadied myself and held onto the form that had such an impact on me. It was Alice.