Assignations

"So, how do you feel, Bells?"

I looked at Charlie as he fidgeted in the doorway, his hand still resting on the handle.

"I'm good dad, real good," I answered honestly, as he seemed to bring his head down a little closer to me.

"Your eyes... they're..."

"No longer red," I finished for him, as he slowly nodded.

Was he going to ask me why? From the start, Charlie had been so understanding of everything, but explaining this...

"Carlisle told me," he replied, as he rubbed his hand through his hair.

I nodded. Of course Carlisle would have....

"But... physically I mean, you're okay, Bella?" he asked again, as I smiled.

"Dad, I ran here in seconds, and I haven't fallen once... I am the best I have ever been, physically," I replied.

His face finally broke into a wry smile. "Running? Never was your strong point..."

"That's when I was human," I cut in, before realising what I had said.

When I was human...

Well done, Bella... for making it so...

Final?

"Yeah, well, you'll always be that way to me," Charlie replied quietly, before standing to one side to let me enter.

I walked along the corridor into the kitchen, noticing a pile of pizza boxes on the side. I felt myself smile.

"Take out, huh?" I asked casually, as Charlie opened the fridge, retrieving a can of beer. 

He nodded as he motioned to the fridge. "Can I..."

I watched as he stopped, a slight blush appearing on his cheekbones.

I laughed. "I'm good, thanks," I answered honestly, as he nodded, rolling his eyes.

"I'll get used to this, Bella, in time... it's just...."

"Old habits die hard?" I asked, as he smiled. "A bit like that?" I continued, pointing to the pizza boxes.

"Exactly like that," he finished, opening the can. As he brought it to his lips, he suddenly stopped.

"Oh, before I forget, someone left you something this morning. It's on the table in the lounge."

I felt myself frown a little. "What is it?" I asked carefully, as Charlie took a swig from his beer.

 "A rose. Probably that Mike kid... there's a note. It wasn't addressed to anyone, but it must be for you, I'm a little too old for presents."

I immediately darted into the room, my eyes searching every space until they rested on the single red rose. The note was torn open within seconds, and I started to read:

Charlie, such devoted father

One who will soon see...

Malicious voice, deep inside,

Echoing, it said to me...

Time to extinguish his light

Only, first, ask Bella, when the moon is bright

Meet me, Bella, your father you'll save...

Else, wait, and see, his early grave....