Quileute

Chapter 11 - 

It would seem as though I wasn't the only one with questions. As soon as I got to Edward, he spoke; 

"How long have you known Jacob Black" he enquired. 

"On and off for a few years" I replied, "each time I came to Forks during the summer, we'd hook up…" my voice trailed off. Edward didn't look particularly pleased with me answer. 

"Why?" I asked. 

Before he could answer, I felt a hand on my arm. Without looking, I knew who it was. 

"Good morning Bella". 

I turned. 

"Hi Alice" 

Alice smiled and linked her arm through mine, like she had at the hospital. Before she could speak, Edward spoke. 

"I didn't pick her up this morning Alice". 

I looked at Edward, and then at Alice. 

"Jacob Black did" he added. 

Alice's arm fell from mine. Edward shifted his penetrating gaze from me to Alice "see you after school" and he left. 

"Okay" I interrupted, "what exactly is going on here Alice. First I get bad vibes from Jake about you, your family… now I get the feeling you're anti-Jake. Have I missed something here?" 

Alice shook her head, "No – I have nothing against Jacob Black, Bella. Honestly. I asked Edward if he could pick you up this morning, I didn't think you'd be able to drive with your hand like that, and I had to help Jasper with something…" She quickly linked her arm through mine again, "I'm glad you got a lift in" she added, and smiled again. That smile, the one that mesmerised and completely enthralled me. The same smile that made me forget all the questions I had. 

"It was nice of you to think of me" I replied, quickly adding, "I mean, with the lift thing…" 

Would I ever be able to speak to her without getting all tongue-tied? 

Alice squeezed my arm, "I always think of you Bella". 

I got the feeling she would have said more, but the bell sounded. 

"I have to get to class" I continued, "but, well, would you like to meet me at lunch?" 

I was mentally crossing my fingers that she would say yes… 

"I'd love to Bella". 

It was music to my ears. 

I walked into history class and sat by Angela. The teacher followed me in. 

"Hi Bella – lucky you arrived before Mr Tate!" 

I nodded "I got held up with Alice" and Angela smiled, "She seems very nice". 

I smiled. Angela, I had noted, was always nice about everyone, a total opposite to Jessica who always found a way to criticise most people. "Yeah, she is" I replied. 

My mind wandered back to the small discussion I had earlier with Alice and her brother. So much for getting some answers, now I was more confused than before. Edward clearly didn't like Jacob, and Alice… well, Alice had just seemed concerned that Jake had brought me to school. I needed to speak to Alice about it. Alone. 

Most of the lesson went by with a blur, Mr Tate wasn't the most engaging teacher, but something he said held my attention: 

"Legends, Folklore – Myths – they surround us, take the Quileute Tribe, Native Americans who reside in near-by La Push…"