Retribution

Chapter 52 - 

Alice's POV 

I held on to Bella tightly, my arms securing her like a protective cocoon. 

Charlie had poked his head around the door to check on Bella moments earlier, as I slipped beneath the covers. I had known he wouldn't venture inside the room, and it was too dark for him too catch a glimpse of me. Even for that split second, I disliked loosening my hold of her. Now he was gone, I resumed my previous position as Bella sighed and nestled closer to me. 

I could have lost her, today. 

Lost her to him... 

Reuben. 

I closed my eyes, and waited patiently... 

But nothing came. 

No vision to warn me what his next step would be. 

No vision to show me exactly where he was, now. 

No vision to tell me what is intentions were, towards us... towards Bella. 

Intentions… 

What exactly were my intentions towards Bella? I was ardently in love with her…without her I was incomplete, an empty shell… my feelings for her were perennial, amaranthine, unending… but unlike my feelings, Bella's life was not incessant and immortal.  

One day I would lose her… unless she became a vampire like me. 

She had given herself to me, so freely, in our lovemaking… would she be as trusting if she knew the thoughts I concealed? 

If she asked you to turn her, you know you would… 

I felt myself jump slightly as my inner voice broke into my thoughts. 

"I would" I whispered… to Bella, even though she was asleep. To my inner voice, even though it knew my response already and finally to me… 

I would. 

My fingers ran slowly down Bella's back as she brought her arm up, resting her hand on my shoulder. On the underside of that arm, the initial R was etched... 

Reuben. 

The malice I felt towards him was like no feeling I had ever experienced before. 

I despised his existence and what he did to Bella... 

I had promised her that I wouldn't go searching for him, but I was torn. I hated the thought of breaking that promise, but at the same time I couldn't forget what had happened, couldn't forget what could have happened. 

If I had lost Bella today, I wouldn't have hesitated. 

I would have examined and explored every inch of the woods until I uncovered him.  

And when I found him, I wouldn't have given him the chance to tell me what his motives were, no questions would have left my lips, and no scrutiny would have taken place.  

As the sunlight penetrated through the branches from above, I would have deprived him of his existence. Extinguished his life slowly, causing as much distress as I could.  

I would have looked deep into those eyes as I inflicted my punishment. 

He was my enemy, my target, and I would have executed him…