Admission

Chapter 22 – 

I watched as Alice's car disappeared out of view. 

I sighed, and looked down at the gravel. She'd only just left my side, and I was already missing her. 

But tonight… 

I'd be seeing her tonight. 

Alice Cullen. 

Vampire. 

Friend. 

And possibly so much more after that kiss… 

I heard a movement at my side. 

"Err… Bella?" 

I turned immediately. 

Jake. 

I'd been that wrapped up in the thought of seeing Alice again, I had completely forgotten he was behind me. 

"Jake" 

Jake pushed his hands even deeper into the pockets of his jeans. 

"Look, Bella. I really don't want to… what I mean is… before… look, I'm just sorry – I should never have…" 

I watched as he frowned, and sighed. Jake was obviously trying to find the right words to say, and was obviously struggling… I took pity on him. 

"We're still friends, Jake" and I held out my hand. 

Jake looked into my eyes, smiled, and walked towards me, taking my hand in his, he shook it firmly. 

"Friends, Bella. And... Well, sorry…." 

I smiled, "Apology accepted Jake – just don't go all possessive on me again, okay?" 

Jake removed his hand, "You mean like she just did?" 

I shook my head, "Now, now Jake…" 

Jake held up both hands. 

"Okay – point taken. I'm just concerned for you, you don't know about her, them…" 

His voice trailed off as he stepped back and leaned against his truck. 

"I understand completely, Jake". 

Jake laughed. "Yeah – right Bella. Look – I don't want to get into this conversation again, because it didn't end too nicely the last time… just be careful". 

I walked towards him, and held out my hand again, this time to show him scar that was left on my hand. 

"Alice took me to see her father, Dr Cullen. He removed the stitches… there was a little bit of blood…" 

Jake immediately interrupted, "I'm so sorry about that, Bella – when you fell on your hand… I swear to god I didn't mean for that to happen…" 

I hushed him gently. "Jake, please. Let me finish". 

Jake looked at me intently, and then nodded. "Okay Bella…" 

I pointed to the scar, "Dr Cullen removed the stitches, Jake, and he didn't even flinch when he saw the blood…." 

Jake leaned in, "what exactly are you getting at Bella?" His voice was firm, yet his facial expression was pure puzzlement. 

"What I am getting at, Jake, is the fact that I know… I know what they are… and I know you know what they are…. Vampires, Jake. I know, do you understand?" 

Jake stepped back again and hit the side of his truck with his back. Complete shock etched across his face. 

"You know? They… told you?"