Unity

Chapter 34 - 

The moon was full tonight. A slight shiver ran along my spine as I looked out of the open window in Alice's room. Somewhere, out there, was a vampire. A nomadic vampire, as Carlisle had called them. 

Them. 

Was there more than one? 

Or was in a single, solitary, being… waiting to ambush its next victim? 

I shuddered again. 

Somewhere, out there, was Carlisle. 

And Emmet. 

And Jasper. 

And Edward. 

I silently prayed that they would all be okay. 

I also thanked some celestial being that Alice hadn't joined them. 

Alice had taken me up to her room, before going back downstairs to get me a drink. 

So here I was. 

Waiting. 

Although for what, I wasn't sure. 

I heard the door open, and turned, 

Alice. 

"Are you okay Bella" she asked, her question laced with concern. 

I walked across the room and sat down on the bed. 

Alice joined me, handing over a drink. 

Slowly I took a sip. 

"Today has been… interesting" I answered, as I took another sip. 

Alice nodded. 

"I'd like to go and see Jake tomorrow". 

Alice nodded again. 

"And… I'd like you to come with me?" 

Alice smiled. "Of course" she answered, adding "He may not want me there though". 

Now it was my turn to smile, "I don't care" I answered, taking a last sip of the drink, placing the glass on the bedside table that had also appeared since my last visit to Alice's room. 

"I'm sorry we won't be having that girlie night after all Bella, Rosalie has joined the boys…." 

Her voice trailed off as she sighed. 

"That's okay, you're here with me, that's all that matters" I answered truthfully. 

Esme was downstairs, patiently awaiting their return. 

"Would you like me to turn on a light?" Alice asked, as she moved in closer to me. 

"No… I like it this way" I replied. 

The room was dark, but I could easily make out Alice's face as the moonlight spilled in through the window, illuminating her beauty even more. Gently I felt her lips brush against my forehead, before they moved to the side of my neck. Slowly she whispered "I need you Bella" as I silently nodded in agreement. 

After everything that had happened today, I simply needed Alice. 

"May I?" she questioned, as she moved her head back. Her pupils were dilated, as they looked deep into my very soul. Slowly I nodded again, placing my hand tentatively to her heart. "Yes" was my simple reply. 

Alice smiled as she placed her hand on my heart. 

"Your heartbeat is so seductive Bella" she murmured as her eyes searched my face. I could feel the heat from my body radiating around us in response to her closeness and touch.