Awakening

Chapter 5 - 

I walked down the corridor next to Eric, who seemed far too happy for 9am in the morning. I hadn't slept much at all, and the strong black coffee I had poured myself before leaving the house hadn't helped much. Even Charlie had raised an eyebrow; "Not like you to have caffeine overload Bells" he had replied with a smile on his face. 

I thought back to the restless night sleep – and the strange, vivid dream… 

Dream 

Outside the wind was raging, cutting its way through the weeping willows that stood tall and proud outside the house. The broken gate, clinging tightly to the rusted hinges of long ago, moved to and fro, creaking with age. In the distance, bulrushes danced with frenzy, caressing the dark waters of the small lake, almost framing the reflection of the pallid moon, an amorous play watched by the pin pricks of light from far above.  

Somewhere in the heavens a fulmination could be heard; a detonation of thunder, a warning to all consciousness that a storm was on its way. The dark sky, in association, shimmered – a glaring zigzag making its way, seemingly agitated and hysterical, across the celestial sphere. The trees below arched, succumbing to the commotion.  

Inside my room all was calm – a paradox to the world of outside. My large velvet curtain swayed slightly, the wind catching the red material as it thrust itself through the open window. 

A candle flickered, casting a shadow against the wall. Alice was stood at the side of my bed, looking down at me. Her amber eyes were shining, and arousing, probing into my soul. Images of the past, of long ago, formed in her face – I could see them now. Her raven hair framing her delicate pale face - features translucent - the bewitching smile. As the candle flame consumed the room, so too did her image.  

Outside, the lightning forked across the sky above the house leaving a glow of radiance behind, as if waving farewell. The wind, accepting some unknown instruction to withdraw, reached out to the perimeter of the house for one last time and departed. All was quiet; an eerie silence fell upon the house inside and out.  

"Bella" she whispered. 

I raised myself up from the covers, and reached out to her… 

I awoke with a start. I was alone, there had been a storm, and it had somehow entered my dream. I had never liked thunder or lightening, but seeing Alice in my dream had somehow made everything alright.  

I was tired, and cold, and damp – the rain had started around midnight and hadn't stopped since. Eric nudged me as I walked into Biology class, "Wake up sleepy" he whispered as I looked at him with a slight smile on my face. "Oh, so you've noticed I'm not a morning person then" I replied as I removed my jacket. Eric waved his hands as if to say "so- so" before carrying onto his classroom next door. I placed my coat on the only hook that seemed to be left, and looked for the first time at my desk… Alice. 

She was looking intently at me. When our eyes met, she smiled and looked back at the desk. 

Okay Bella, get a grip. 

I walked towards my seat, and sat down. The teacher entered almost immediately and spent the next 30 or so minutes talking to us about the forthcoming test we needed to revise for. As each minute ticked by, my six sense kicked in again. She was looking at me, of that I was certain. I glanced now and again to my side, but fleeting glances were unable to confirm my suspicions. 

Finally, the teacher stopped and walked around the room with more handouts. I sighed, and she spoke. 

"Bella". 

For days I had wondered what her voice was like; imagined it saying my name, though I had never imagined it to sound so… melodious. Last night, she had said the very same thing in my dream. I felt my hand grip on my pen, time to face your fear Bella… 

I turned and smiled, "Hello Alice" I heard myself respond. "I hope you are feeling better?" 

Alice slowly nodded, her amber eyes flashing against her pale skin. "Yes, much better thank you Bella". 

I watched her lips as she spoke my name again. What on earth was wrong with me? I had never felt so… mesmerised… by anyone before. I was attracted to Alice Cullen, I had to admit it to myself – I had been since the very first moment I had seen her. The realisation hit me hard and left me feeling short of breath. 

I nodded my head, "good" was my only response, in a husky tone I almost didn't recognise. 

Alice moved her small hand and tapped the notes that were sat in front of her on the desk with her index finger, "thank you for these" she continued. 

The poem. 

I swallowed hard and bit at my bottom lip, "no problem" I answered, looking at her directly, I continued… 

"I hope they made sense, to be honest, when I looked back at them myself, they didn't… "(I was waffling) "make sense I mean, to me… you know…" I stopped rambling and turned away, I couldn't even string a sentence together because being so close to her was driving me slightly crazy. 

"They made perfect sense" she answered, her voice resonant, as she placed her hand on my arm, "thank you" she repeated and I glanced at her fingers. So delicate, and pale… the urge to place my own on top came so suddenly I felt myself going dizzy… all too soon she had removed her hand and had now linked it with her other on the table. 

She moved a little closer to me, her action dissimilar to how it had been before. "You look tired Bella, are you okay?” – Her enquiry seemingly thick with concern. I chastised myself for not making more of an effort with my appearance that morning. 

"I didn't get a lot of sleep last night" I responded, "and I'm not really a morning person, to be honest. Bad combination I'm afraid". 

"It was probably the storm" she answered. I was sure she was going to say something else about the storm, but she stopped herself and shrugged her dainty shoulders then continued. 

"I must apologise for my behaviour the last time we took biology together, I wasn't feeling too good…." 

I nodded and looked back at her face "Migraine" I finished for her. 

"Yes, but I feel better now… the pressure has subsided a little". And then she looked at me again, but this time I felt like she was looking into the depths of my soul... 

"I understand now" she finished. I was about to ask her what she now understood, when the bell sounded and Mike appeared. I felt a little despondent – I had never wanted a class to last longer before, but I was starting to realise that there were a lot of things I had never wanted before I came to Forks. I had already decided that I would somehow give Mike the slip, when a familiar voice spoke; 

"Bella and I are going to the library". 

I looked at Alice, and then at Mike. The former had an amused expression on her face, the latter wore a scowl. 

"Oh – okay" replied Mike, who then turned and walked out of the class, leaving only me and Alice. 

Alice spoke, "I think you've an admirer there Bella". I nodded a little. She continued "I'm sure he'll get over you… eventually" and then she laughed. Her voice was an amazing, and beautiful thing, but her laugh was even more alluring. 

I smiled, "Quit the teasing Alice" I replied. 

Alice held her right hand across her heart, "But teasing is my forte!" she answered, another smile etching its way across her scarlet lips. This time I head myself chuckle, realising it was the first time I had laughed since arriving at Forks. 

"You have a lovely laugh" she stated, moving a little closer to me. I was about to reply when another voice drifted across the room... 

"Alice". 

We both turned and looked at the doorway. There stood Rosalie, hands on hips, with a stern look on her face. 

She spoke again, "I need to speak to you… in private" 

Alice turned a look of genuine regret on her face. 

"Sorry Bella, looks like we'll have to give the library a miss… this time" and with that, she flitted towards her sister. Rosalie followed Alice, but turned to me a split second later, her penetrating gaze exuding disapproval… of what, I was unsure.