The Storm

Chapter 41 – 

I leaned against the side of my truck, waiting for Jake to arrive. Charlie had been called to help out at the station again, so it was an ideal opportunity for me to speak to Jake about… 

Well, what he was. 

I'd walked Charlie out to his car. 

"Sorry about leaving you alone again, Bells. I've never known there to be so much trouble at work…." 

His voice had trailed off. 

"What kind of trouble" I had enquired, as Charlie opened the car door. 

"We don't have a large police force Bella, because we're a small town, but lately… well, folk have been going missing. It's all hands on deck". 

Folk had been going missing… 

I nodded, "I understand dad, just be careful" I asked, as I leaned in and gave him a quick peck on the side of his cheek. 

Stubble. 

He definitely needed a shave. 

Charlie got in the car, "Maybe you could ask Alice over for that DVD? But you have a curfew Bells… just because she isn't a guy, doesn't mean I won't be watching you both…" 

His voice trailed off, as if he was still trying to fully comprehend his own words. 

"I've invited both Jake and Alice over dad" 

Charlie whistled, "Brave girl Bells" as he winked at me, and pulled out of the drive. 

Brave Girl… 

I was going to sit with a werewolf and a vampire in my own living room… 

I guess I was brave. 

I'd sent Alice a text, asking her to join me, but I hadn't received a response. She was probably out hunting. I glanced down at my phone. Jake had answered immediately; 

"I'll be right over" 

But I still hadn't received anything back from Alice. 

I hoped she was okay. 

I flicked through the phone menu and read the text I had sent her again; 

Alice; I know what he is… and I've invited him over. I'd like you to come too? I miss you. Bx 

I returned the phone to my pocket and sighed. 

This was going to be an interesting evening… 

The sun, which had blazed all day, was now setting, yet I could still feel the heat. 

I could hear the distant rumble of thunder, causing me to grimace. 

This isn't what I needed, right now. 

I knew my fear of storms was irrational, yet each time I heard that rumble… 

I felt myself shiver. 

As I patiently waited, I could hear the storm getting closer and closer. Looking up into the purple sky, I felt a drop of rain hit my cheek, running slowly down, leaving a trail, similar to the trail Alice's tear had left on her face… 

Had she spoken to Carlisle about it? Did vampires cry? Alice had seemed as shocked as I was…. 

"Bella". 

I jumped, and glanced up. 

Jake had arrived. 

I had been so engrossed in my thoughts, I hadn't heard him arrive, nor had I heard the rumble of thunder that was now right above me.