Alice

Chapter 7 – 

Alice's POV 

She was the new girl that everyone was talking about. The new girl everybody was thinking about, according to Edward. 

I hadn't given her much thought until the day I found myself looking at her through the window of the school canteen. Quite often, I didn't take that much of an interest in anyone at Forks high school. Sometimes, if I saw someone wearing something I liked, my interest was fuelled, but only marginally. 

But that day, well – I knew that day was going to be different. On my way to school I'd had a vision, broken and fragmented, it appeared I would be sitting with the new girl in biology, but I didn't actually know what she looked like… until now. 

As soon as I'd got to the door, something had held me back from entering. My eyes had taken a quick scan of the room, and seemed to rest naturally on her. I could only see the back of her, long chestnut hair tumbling around her shoulders. She was looking down at something, but I couldn't make out what. Moments later her head turned as she glanced around the room, and I saw her properly for the first time. 

I was immediately aroused and fascinated by her. 

I'd entered the canteen, and joined the rest of my family with my usual gaiety, my eyes never leaving her. When her chocolate brown eyes met mine, I was compelled to smile and the slash of red that appeared across her cheekbones…. 

I felt flattered and then confused. 

No human had stirred any form of emotion in me before. The feeling was fresh, felt pleasurable, and I knew from that moment on, I had to know her better… 

Of course, things seldom run smoothly, more so for a vampire like me. My step had quickened on the way to Biology; finally, I would get to meet her but being so close had fuelled not only my desire, but my hunger. Now I knew how hard it was for my brother, Jasper. I had always kept my yearning for blood under control, and then she'd sat next to me… 

The craving, the longing and lust had hit me with such a ferocity I was left reeling. 

I wanted her, wanted to taste her blood…the desire had mounted; I could smell her intoxicating scent… 

I'd moved away from her, and I knew my actions had caused her some discomfort, which in turn caused me discomfort. She didn't understand my behaviour, but then neither did I. 

As soon as the bell had sounded, I'd bolted, like a coward. All of my senses were heightened by her. The urge to lean over and taste her exposed neck had shocked me, but the desire to claim her lips with my own had overwhelmed me more. 

Taking a few weeks off school had been Carlisle's suggestion. 

I could see that both he and Esme were concerned. Edward, it seemed, couldn't read her thoughts which both fascinated and intrigued him. Carlisle seemed a little worried; Rosalie seemed almost livid and couldn't understand my fascination with a 'mere human'. Emmet had teased me, but I expected that. Jasper had remained silent when everyone else was present; he knew me better than the rest of them and only mentioned 'her' when we were alone together. I knew I could rely on him, and his words, though cautious, were soothing. He had faith in me, he had said. And he knew I would find a way to be me again. Esme had sat with me, asking gentle questions – some I could answer, 

many I could not. Taking my hand in hers she given it a slight squeeze, "you can't help your feelings Alice" she has said, adding "I would like to meet Bella one day". I realised I desperately wanted that too. 

For two weeks I had fed like never before, but still I yearned for her. But as the days passed, so too did my mania; I began to realise I could control my desires, that I was merely craving to be near her . Jasper helped, projecting calmness towards me whenever I felt myself going slightly crazy. And when he had handed me her notes and I'd sat on my bed and read through her words… I felt that bit closer to her, even though it was merely pen and paper.