Exposure

Chapter 32 - 

I left the house and hurried towards my truck. I was so focused on Alice, her image flooding my mind; I didn't notice Jake who was standing nearby. When he spoke, I felt myself jump. 

"Have you got time for a quick chat?” 

I paused at my truck and looked around. 

"Sorry Bella, I didn't mean to make you jump". 

Jake started to laugh as I threw my bag in through the open window and walked over towards him. 

"No worries, I didn't see you…." 

Jake smiled. "I'm not that hard to miss, surely?" he enquired. 

I laughed then. "No – I suppose not – have you been taking growth vitamins or something? I'm sure you're a few inches taller than the last time we spoke!" 

Jake shook his head, "Nah, I'm just having a growth spurt that's all". 

I nodded, adding "What's up?" 

Jake shifted and motioned towards the wood to the side of the house. 

"Walk with me? I know you're on your way out" he pointed towards the bag I had just thrown into the truck "but it won't take long – I just need to talk to you". 

I looked at my watch. Alice would be expecting me soon, but I figured a few more minutes wouldn't hurt. Besides, the look on Jake's face suggested he really needed to talk. 

"Sure, lead the way". 

I followed him into the wood, "is everything okay Jake?" 

Jake continued to walk on, until we came to a small clearing. 

"Jake?" I asked again. 

Jake turned and sat on a tree stump. 

"I should be asking you that question Bella – is everything okay with you?" 

"Everything is perfect" I answered. 

Jake rested his elbows on his legs and leaned on his hands. 

"I think there is a slight flaw to your statement". 

Flaw? 

He continued. 

"You hang out with vampires; that's far from a perfect situation to be in, if you ask me…" 

"I don't recall asking you Jake". 

Jake suddenly stood, "Look Bella, I think you need to step back into the realms of reality here". 

I looked into Jake's eyes, "My feet are planted firmly where they need to be. I don't need to step anywhere" 

Jake sighed, "Okay – let's look at the larger picture then, shall we?" 

I shrugged my shoulders and leaned against the large tree that was behind me. 

"I know you think I am interfering, but what kind of friend would I be if I didn't speak out about this? I am worried about you". 

I sighed again. 

"Jake, I don't know how many times I have to tell you this; Alice won't harm me – none of her family will". 

Jake shook his head "Forgive me if I don't share your conviction Bella" 

I felt weary. 

All I wanted was for Alice to appear, take me in her arms and run with me to somewhere, anywhere.