To Hell and Back, pt. 1

Prompt: Zari is seriously injured in some random year, in some random place. No one knows where she is. A familiar face helps her home, and helps her realize other things along the way.

"Gideon, how long has it been?" Nate ask to the all seeing AI.

"It has been 3 hours and 45 minutes since Ms. Tomaz last communication. 1 hour and 12 minutes since I've last detected her heat signature or life form." Gideon answers.

"That doesn't mean anything, she could still be out there." Amaya snaps.

"Hey, we know, Amaya, we know. No one is giving up on her. Take a breather." Sara calmly states.

Amaya nods before leaving the bridge, trying to calm her buzzing nerves. Once Amaya is out of earshot, Sara addresses the rest of the crew.

"Zari's odds are slipping with every minute we waste. I don't care if we're incarcerated by the Time Bureau again, we find Zari. Dead or Alive, got it?" Sara says lowly and harshly.

  The teams nods before rushing back into work, desperate to find their missing teammate. Their missing friend, their missing family member.

"I pray she's alive." Sara whispers before going back to look for her as well.

:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/

"What happened? Where am I?" Zari mumbles as she thinks out loud, standing up and taking in her surroundings.

"You were gravely injured, sister. As for when and where: 1936, London." Behrad answers softly as he appears next to her.

"Behrad! It's another illusion." Zari says jumping away from him, ready to attack.

"An illusion, yes. But I'm not here to attack. I'm an illusion from your mind." Behrad provides.

"Yeah, how am I suppose to believe you?" Zari snaps.

"Look. Is that not you, sister?" Behrad says as he points to a woman, laying on her stomach unmoving.

Zari skeptically and carefully approaches the body. As she flips the woman over, she finds that is her own self. Zari falls down, scared to her bones.

"What is this?" Zari stutters as she backs away from the body, herself, looking up at their brother.

"You're dying, Zari. You're brain, the totem, it summoned me. It brought me here to help you. We have to bring your team here, before you body shuts down." Behrad answers carefully as he helps his sister up to her feet.

"How much time do I have left?" Zari pushes.

"Not long. Now hold on, I'll summon us to the Waverider." Behrad instructs as he holds his sister close.

:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:

"Woah, that was quick." Zari comments as they appear on the bride of the ship.

"Yeah, funny how things work with our subconscious. Now, come on." Behrad says as they begin to walk around.

"Can they see us? Me?" Zari ask as they stand behind the crew, omitting Amaya, watching as they work furiously to find her.

"No, not them. They can't hear, see, or feel us." Behrad answers.

"Then how am I suppose to help them find me?" Zari huffs.

"I can't tell you that. I'm sorry." Behrad sighs.

"Real helpful, brother." Zari remarks.

"But, I can tell you, the key to help you, isn't here or with them." Behrad instructs.

"Amaya. Why her?" Zari says.

"I think we both know why." Behrad grins.

:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:

When Zari and Behrad teleport to Amaya's location, Zari collapses in pain.

"We're running out of time sooner than I thought." Behrad says seriously as he helps Zari to her feet, supporting her weight as he walks her over to Amaya.

Amaya is in the jump ship, sitting in the pilot seat. She's sobbing quietly, holding onto her totem deathly for support.

"What do I do now?" Zari whispers, the pain taking a toll on her.

"I don't know." Behrad answers.

"Don't know or you won't tell me?" Zari snaps.

"Both. I can take away the pain for now, but it won't last long. Neither will this. Your mind will disconnect from this to holdout longer, but it won't be enough if you can't figure this out." Behrad informs before disappearing, leaving Zari and Amaya.

"Okay, the others can't hear me, so I'm guessing you can't either. Amaya, I don't know what to do. You're the one who knows about this totem stuff, not me. If there was anytime I seriously need you, it's now." Zari sighs as kneels down next to Amaya.

Amaya continues to sob.

"Since I'm dying anyway and I have no idea, there's not better time to tell you this. I love you, Amaya. So much. I'm such a coward, keeping this to myself, running away. Whatever happens, isn't your fault okay? It's mine. Hope everyone knows that. Just take care of yourself, okay? And the team too." Zari confess.

Amaya sobs, unknowing to the confession of Zari.

"I love you, Amaya. Always will." Zari says as she leans forward, cupping Amaya's cheek lovingly.

Suddenly, Amaya's totem begins to activate and Amaya gaps in shock.

"Zari?!" Amaya gasp, turning to look at her.

"Behrad! She can see me?" Zari ask quickly standing up to her feet.

"No. She feels your presence. You did it, sister." Behrad smiles.

Zari smiles, before that smile is replaced with a grimace of pain. All of it rushing back to her, making her fall into her brother's arm.

"We have to go. Now!" Behrad commands as he pulls Zari close.

"Amaya." Zari whispers to the love of her life, as Amaya stands from the pilot seat, looking as if she's staring right at her.

"Zari!" Amaya yells as she feels the girl's presence leave.

:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:

"Guys! Guys!" Amaya yells as she rushes toward them.

"What is It?" Ray ask.

"Zari. I know where she is. She doesn't have long, she's dying. Her life force, I can barely feel it anymore." Amaya sniffs as she holds her totem even tighter and closer than before.

"Wally, get ready for some speed. Nate and Ray prepare Gideon and the med bay." Sara commands as she rushes just as fast, ready to get their girl back. 

:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/:/

"Behrad. I'm dying, aren't I?" Zari gasps in pain as she lays down on the cold pavement.

"I'm sorry, Zari." Behrad whispers 

"It's okay. You have me closure, that's all I could ask for. Just, watch out for the team. Especially, Amaya." Zari coughs.

"You did good, sister." Behrad whispers reassuringly to Zari before she passes out.

Author's Note: part 1 of a two part short story. stay on the look out for a part 2. if you want two parts, let me know. also if you'd like to see your own two part, let me know. I'll do a couple of yours. Sorry if this was a little confusing, read one similar to this and I loved it so I wanted to try one out for myself.