Chapter 22 - Past Reminiscence

Ishani saw Rudra stare at her for an ephemeral moment, which felt like an eternity. He stood there at the door but did not step inside. Something told her that he wouldn't till she would ask him to.

Her features softened and she gestured him to enter and saw him slowly step inside. He turned away from her as he clasped the door securely. His forehead was pressed against the doorframe with his hand placed flat on it.

Seeing his taut back and clenched fist, she could make out he was trying to hold something inside but was failing.

"I am sorry," he said as he turned towards her.

Lowering her head, Ishani nodded accepting his apology but the moment she raised her eyes to his, everything stilled around her. She couldn't put a finger on it but something in his eyes pulled her to him. Suddenly she found herself standing right in front of him, their chest almost touching.

"Sorry," he repeated in a low whisper and something snapped inside her.

She placed her forehead against her chest and wrapped her arms around him.

Rudra stiffened instantly, his mind howling like a demon, clawing at the chains of restraint, pulling them hard trying to let loose. Clenching his palms in fists, he controlled the rising turmoil as he strangled the beast inside and blanked out every feeling.

You have to do this, his inner voice reminded him. Hug her, that's the only way she will give in.

Fighting against all his will, he circled his arms around her and within seconds felt her pressing her face deep into his chest.

They stayed like that for endless moments before Rudra slowly released his arms and started to move away and Ishani felt almost empty the moment he did.

The rapid beating of his heart combined with the rising heat in his body had somehow penetrated deep inside her. She wanted to grab onto that feeling again as it gave her the peace that she has always looked for.

"Did you know him?"

Her words stopped him in his tracks and he whirled back. He didn't need to confirm who she was talking about. Looking at her, one part of him wanted to say yes but the other part just vehemently denied.

Why attract unnecessary questions?

Shaking his head, he looked away trying hard to conceal the real truth. He has to get out of here as soon as possible.

No, you can't, his inner voice said. Do what you have come here to do.

Losing the battle, he turned towards her but found the room empty.

Good! Better leave now.

"That's him," he heard her say from the doorway of her bedroom.

Expecting the worse, he slowly looked at her and found her standing there with a picture frame in her hand.

"I should be going," he said swallowing hard.

"Wait!"

This time he did not turn for he could no longer avoid looking at her. He stood there motionless waiting for her to say whatever she wanted to.

"Do they have any pictures of him?"

"None that I can remember," he responded his voice sounding alien to him.

Rudra, get out of here before it's too late, his inner voice warned him.

As he took one step towards the door, he felt her hand on his shoulder. Slowly he felt her moving around him as she came and stood in front.

"Don't be sorry for not telling me about Veera. You did the right thing," she said softly touching his cheek.

Rudra's eyes flew open the moment he heard her. But her words or touch did not burn him more than that name did. His mind clouded with the age old memories once again. Not finding the strength to speak, he just nodded and stepped out. And, the moment he heard the click of the door lock sliding in place, he shot down the stairs like a bullet towards the gate.

"To Amar, NOW," he growled the moment he sat in the car.

Manna started the car instantly looking at him, knowing too well what was about to happen.

"MANNA, the shots," Rudra commanded in agony a minute later.

The moment Manna handed him two, he punched them in and slumped sideways as the liquid got mixed with his blood. Although his muscles relaxed, his mind burned with the swirling images of the past. He fought with the ghostly demons till there was no more strength left in him.

Battered, he lay on the back seat as his mind still tortured him mercilessly.

*****************

Ishani opened the door of her apartment and somehow managed to enter balancing two bags of groceries in her hands. One of them fell on the floor and out came the potatoes and onions sliding along the floor merrily. Grunting, she put the other bag on the table and hunched on the floor to pick them up. Suddenly one onion decided to go on a joyful ride and slid just beneath the sofa.

Dammit!

"Okay, if you are stubborn, then I am more stubborn than you," she said to the onion.

She strode to the drawing room and slid her hand below it to fetch that irritating piece of vegetable. As she was getting up, her eyes suddenly fell on something lying on the sofa.

A black men's wallet!

The moment she opened the wallet her eyes widened with recognition.

***************

"She has found the wallet," Mayank said looking at the screen.

Rudra smiled as he slowly straightened on the hospital bed.

"Is the house ready?" he asked as his mind plotted his next move.

The moment Mayank nodded, he gestured him to inform Manna and closed his eyes. His lips slanted in a sly smile as he remembered his master stroke. The day Annie left, he had directed his men to place cameras and microphones all around her house so that he could watch her whenever he wanted. By the time he had dropped Ishani back to her place that night, the work had been done. He had even got her phone rigged to install a high-frequency GPS tracker. Even her calls were being tapped.

He unlocked his phone and flicked the live footage on, and saw Ishani picking up her phone.

The ringing of Manna's phone flooded in the hospital room followed by a hello from his side.

Ishani Raijdas, it's time you fall in love with me.  

Copyright © Paromita Majumder. All Rights Reserved.

Image Courtesy: Pinterest