Chapter 30 - Is She Awake?

Rudra switched the projector on in his cabin and started to look through the location suggestions sent by Mr Singh, his real estate in-charge. Although he had already zeroed down on one still he wanted to check on the others before he finally made his decision.

He kept flicking through the different sites and checked their amenities but nothing seemed too appealing. Finally, he closed the folder and stood up. He started walking towards the attached washroom in his office but before he entered it, he pressed the intercom button on his desk.

"Coffee!" he commanded in a brisk tone and then stepped inside.

As he entered his office again, he looked at his desk and didn't find his steel coffee mug anywhere. For a second, his mind boiled but then somehow he managed to calm himself down. Patiently he waited for another couple of minutes and then pressed the intercom button again.

"Where is the coffee?" he barked.

He could hear scrambling behind his office door the moment the intercom clicked off. His secretary, Mihika stumbled inside with the coffee mug and corrected herself before placing it in front of him.

Rudra could feel her staring at him while he picked the mug. Every time she would bring coffee for him, he would feel her eyes on her waiting for don't know what and then after some moments she would leave. This time also the same thing happened. She stared; he did not pay any heed and she left.

His phone rang and the moment he looked at the caller ID, frenzied energy zipped through his brain. But a minute later, he disconnected the call more irritated than ever.

Dammit! She is still sleeping.

He picked up his car keys and was about to leave for her house when Kabir entered.

"What?"

Kabir looked at him and gulped down a lump of nervousness down his throat.

"The designing team is waiting in the conference room," he replied looking in surprise at the keys dangling from his brother's hand.

"For what?"

"Bhaisa, you scheduled the meeting a week ago to discuss the design concept for the new hotel."

Rudra's demeanour changed the moment he heard Kabir. He threw the keys on the sofa that missed their destination and fell on the table with a loud clank.

"MS PANDIT!" his voice vibrated through the office and within seconds, his secretary again scrambled inside.

She stood in front of him shaking for she knew if the boss had called her like that, then she was in deep trouble with a capital T.

Rudra clenched his hand in a fist and looked at her with fury.

"Was this meeting on my today's to-do list?" he asked in a low suppressed voice.

Mihika looked from him to Kabir and then started to look through her diary.

"You don't even remember?" Rudra questioned her, his jaw muscle twitching in anger.

She avoided his eyes and kept on searching. Her eyes almost popped out when she saw the meeting mentioned at this exact time in her recognisable scrawl. Timorously, she nodded and looked down.

"Who was supposed to remind me about the meeting?"

"Me, Sir," she replied in a small voice.

"Then, why didn't you?"

Mihika didn't know what to say. Yes, she had forgotten but there was a reason for it. She had been a mess since morning both personally and professionally. She bit her lip to stop the tears that were threatening to fall.

"I asked you a question. ANSWER ME!"

She visibly flinched from his onslaught and backed away instantly.

When she did not answer, Rudra snatched the diary from her and threw it on his desk.

"GET OUT!"

Mihika turned and started to walk towards the door.

"And, Ms Pandit, no need to come back."

She stared at him for a second and then her lips wobbled as her face crumbled in tears. Quickly she turned and left.

Kabir looked at the poor girl's retreating back and sighed.

There goes another secretary.

He saw Rudra pick up his laptop and stride out of the door towards the conference room. Hurriedly, he also followed before he got the next bullet.

***************

Mihika was still clearing her things when her phone rang. She looked at the caller ID and felt like smacking the caller across her face.

"What is it?" she asked the moment she answered the call.

"Okay, someone seems pissed. So how's it going?"

"He fired me."

"WHAT!?"

**************

It was almost afternoon when Rudra finished the meeting. As he came out of the conference room, he looked at his phone and saw the notification light blinking. He strode into his office and slid in his chair. He was about to check the messages when his phone simultaneously rang.

Mayank!

"Is she awake?" he asked excitedly.

"Yes, Sir. Just now!"

"Okay! Did you do what I told you to do?"

"Yes, Sir. 10 messages and 16 calls."

"Good! Now stay there and wait for me."

The moment he disconnected the call, he picked up his car keys and driving gloves. Not a minute to waste, a lot of time has already gone by. He hurried to the lift and almost counted the seconds it took him to get to the ground floor. Just as he exited the lift, he felt eyes turning towards him and a small murmuring sound slowly growing louder by the second.

Dammit! He was in the main lobby. Had he really pressed the lobby button instead of the private exit one? He looked inside the lift and his eyes widened with surprise. Shaking his head, he stepped inside and pressed the button reading "PRIVATE EXIT" and then punched the security code.

Rudra stepped out hurriedly as the lift doors opened in the private parking area minutes later and instantly saw the guards stand up in attention acknowledging his presence. They were about to follow him when an arched flick of his hand stalled them.

Slipping his gunmetal black Maui Jim OLA glasses on, he stepped out into the sun and saw Manna standing in the security room chatting with the other guards. Ignoring him, he walked towards his Hummer H3. Unlocking the car, he slid in the driver's seat and slipped on his black gloves.

The engine started with the loud vroom and instantly Manna came running towards the vehicle calling him but Rudra zipped past him in high speed, startling him out of his tracks.

Copyright © Paromita Majumder. All Rights Reserved.

Image Courtesy: Pinterest