Chapter 75 - The Pricking Doubt

Ishani stared at her stunned and saw Samantha's face widening in a smile.

"You are living in a dream if you think that he is there to stay. He will leave once he has had you. That's what happened with me. He left me after fucking me for three days. Nina is the only one who's stayed so long."

Ishani couldn't say anything although she wanted to; somehow her mind wasn't able to form the jumble of words running in her brain in a coherent sentence.

"Every now and then, he needs a new woman. He can't stay with one. And, look at you. You are not even the kind of woman he likes. I mean look at the clothes you are wearing. He likes his women a little suave and sophisticated not sloppy like you."

Her every word pierced through her heart lodging inside it like bullets and her body shook with its impact. Now it was not anger, but something more than that. It was as if this woman was questioning every minute she had spent with Rudra.

"You know I still love him. And by the looks of it, he still wants me. Maybe we can spend some time tonight," Samantha said with a dreamy look in her eyes.

Ishani's body jerked in action just as she heard her. She raised her hand and slapped Samantha with everything in her. As Samantha staggered a little, Ishani grabbed her arm and shoved her towards the balcony railing. Placing her hands on either side of her body, Ishani widened her eyes and glared in fury at her.

"Stay away from him. He is mine."

Saying this, she turned away and was about to leave when Samantha clutched her arm hard.

"I will have him. It will be tonight. You will never come know when I'll slip into his tree house and his bed."

Ishani looked at her with a determination and said, "Well sweetheart, I do not doubt that at all. Just make sure he doesn't take my name when you touch him or when he comes."

Samantha stared at her with surprise and Ishani knew she had hit home.

"But why am I even talking about this. He will know it's you and not me and once he does, he will throw you out."

"Oh really, Ishani. Then I challenge you. Take him to your bed before I do."

Ignoring her, Ishani stormed out of the balcony and straightaway walked towards her tree house. On the way, she saw Rudra standing and talking with Ram but she ignored him. He called out to her but she stormed off.

Striding into her room, she slammed her door shut and collapsed on the bed.

How dare she?

How dare she challenge her?

What does she think of herself?

But before even her brain could form any other coherent thought, her anger turned into a desolate and helpless feeling.

Rudra does have a lot of women drooling over him. So, even if he doesn't have you, he has a lot of options.

Okay, Ishani enough of bullshit. It's time you brought your head out of the grass and smelled the real thing. And, the real thing is that Rudra does not need you. He is definitely not in your league. Or rather you are not in his.

Suddenly self-pity flooded in her mind and she slummed on the bed dejected.

If I am not in his league then why is he with me?

Because, it's all physical attraction for him and nothing else; it can never be anything else, Ishani.

Suddenly the doubts were too beguiling to shake off. She stood up from the bed and went out to the balcony. Closing her eyes, she tried to get a firm reign on her overcharged nerves, which were all over the place. And, her hyperactive brain was not helping at all.

Why me, Mahadev?

Why is it always me?

Tears of self-sympathy that had been buried in the farthest corner of her heart started to prick at the corners of her eyes. She tried her best to squash them back in place but one slipped out. And, that was just what her inner-self needed to open the gates of the river of emotion suppressed in her for so long.

One tear followed another and suddenly there was nothing left apart from the raining of heated drops on her clenched hands.

"Ishani!"

His call was like a shot going through her heart. She took a deep breath and brushed the tears off.

I am not going to cry in front of him; no ways, she resolved as she slowly turned towards him.

Rudra knew something was wrong. Her eyes were red and she was sniffing every now and then. As he looked closer, he could see the evidence of some wetness on her cheeks.

"Ishani, what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

Her mind just burst into flames the moment she heard him.

"I am not crying. It's just cold," she replied defensively and turned away from him.

"Ishani! Don't lie. I know you are crying. Tell me what's wrong."

"It's nothing," she again replied moving away from him a little.

Rudra caught her arm and pulled her towards him. She struggled as he tried to take her in his arms but somehow she didn't feel that tell-tale warmth in them.

She wanted to get away from him as far as possible. It was definite mistake coming here with him.

"I know something is wrong. Tell me," he reiterated tightening his grip on her.

"It's nothing. Please let me go."

"No, I am not. You are going to tell me what's wrong because I am definite something is."

She flicked her gaze on him and stared into his eyes.

"There is nothing wrong."

"Then why were you crying?" she heard him ask.

"I said I was not crying, okay. Now will you please let me go?" she asked in an irritated tone and felt his arms fall away from her body.

Immediately she turned away from him for it was becoming difficult for her to remain calm with him there.

"When can we leave for Delhi?"

"You want to leave?" Rudra asked in a stunned tone.

When she did not answer, he came near her and turned her towards him.

"Tell me what's wrong?" he asked softly.

"Am I the only woman in your life?"

Copyright © Paromita Majumder. All Rights Reserved.

Image Courtesy: Pinterest