16. No Humanity Needed

-----------

-----------

Arctic Monkeys - Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?

"It's harder and harder to get you to listen
More I get through the gears
Incapable of making alright decisions
And having bad ideas."

"WE'RE GONNA LOSE HER, HOLDEN," Stefan commented as the two walked into their house. Damon was drinking bourbon with a sleepy looking Izzie.

"She needs time to cope with it," Holden said dully. It's been only a few days since Jeremy was dead, and now Elena turned her emotions off. And Holden let her because he knew how hard it was to deal with losing someone so close to you.

"Her humanity's off," Stefan told Holden as Holden went to pour himself a drink. "She's basically numb to everything that makes her who she is."

"She's a vampire," Damon spoke up with a grimace as Holden downed his shot before glancing at Izzie, who looked a little frightened by the thought of Elena turning her emotions off. Though she had never seen it. "Off switch is one of the biggest perks. If being undead gets you down," he then snapped his fingers. "Voilà, vampire Prozac."

Izzie let out a laugh as Damon looked at her with a small smirk. "She burned down her family home with her brother's dead body still inside," Stefan sneered lowly as Holden knew he regretted that choice.

Damon only smirked once again. "Saves us the trouble of having to do it ourselves. I call that a win. Worst case scenario: I'll provoke the sire bond and tell her to turn it back on."

"Yeah, which doesn't even work," Stefan said angrily before looking at Holden, who stood in his spot, thinking. "Her brother just died. If you force all that grief on her once again, it's going to overwhelm her. We need to give her a reason to want to turn it on."

"Great. Give me a stake, I'll pretend I want to kill Holden," Damon suggested in amusement as everyone in the room gave him annoyed looks. "What? Fine, I guess I'll show her a good time."

"You?" Holden questioned at the same time Izzie did so they both glanced at each other.

"Ah, don't be jealous, Holdie, I know it's controversial, but people actually like to have fun," Damon said walking towards the door. "And since you never turned it off, you don't know how that feels."

"You really think that's gonna work?" Stefan questioned as Holden let out a frustrated sound.

Damon clapped his hands before shrugging. "There's only one way to find out."