7. My Past Ghosts

-----------

-----------

Terence Ryan - To Live And Die In New England

"Come back home to the hearth you wallowed
All that time, out your own damn body."

IT HAPPENED WHEN ELENA FINALLY FELL ASLEEP. Holden woke up in the beginning of dawn to see her sleeping curled up against his body.

Holden didn't lie to himself while thinking that he could've gotten used to that, but he knew he had to leave. To leave the woman sleeping besides him and go face Stefan, still wandering around unleashed, and Damon, fighting his own demons.

Slowly getting out of the bed, Holden continued to sit while turning to look at Elena. Her eyebrows were furrowed as Holden knew she was having a nightmare. He didn't wake her up and went downstairs before opening the door quietly.

And that was when someone invisible stabbed him in the chest. Holden groaned as he widened his eyes in shock. No one was standing in front of him and yet someone stabbed him with Elena houses' fence part. "What the—?" he asked taking it out and feeling a familiar feeling.

He remembered Vicki's ghost almost killing Elena the other evening and thought that maybe Bonnie didn't close the gate after all. The Salvatore looked around, closed the door and quickly abandoned the place before coming back home.

Damon was in a bit of a bad situation. He was tied to a chair as his skin burned from the sun, peeking through the window. "Damon, someone just stabbed me—" Holden walked in, looking at his bloody shirt. Raising his eyes, Holden stopped talking. "What the hell?!"

He rushed over to the window before drawing the curtains, letting Damon's skin to rest from the burning. "Oh, thank God," Damon groaned as his skin healed.

"Did Stefan do this to you?" Holden asked him while breaking the bounds that had Damon tied to a chair.

The oldest Salvatore took the rest off as he stood up while fuming. "No! I believe it was the ghost of a very unfriendly werewolf I killed!" he spat motioning around the room, where fire pokers were lying.

"I can see, and I believe," Holden commented with a face as he thought about Jade. It's been a long time since he thought about the vampire that first got his trust, then tried to kill him for murdering Melanie. "I think I got stabbed by either Jade or Ella..."

Damon grimaced slightly. "Crazy exe's, am I right?" he grumbled before narrowing his eyes. "Speaking of mysteries, where have you been all night?"