4. Happy Potluck

-----------

-----------

Jordan Mackampa - Saint

"cause I'm not a saint
I'm not a sinner
I'm just a man without a cause."

HOLDEN WAS INVITED TO ELENA'S AS THEY PREPARED FOR THE POTLUCK.
Of course, Damon decided to tag along as they both helped Elena cook some chili. "I just don't know why you want to bring chili to potluck," Damon complained as Holden helped Elena cook. He wasn't the best cooker, but definitely better than Damon. "Everybody brings chili."

"Doesn't mean it's not good," Holden told his brother with a grin as Elena chuckled and held a bowl for Holden to pour into the pot.

Alaric then walked in and stopped, seeing a weird view in front of him. "Hey, Ric," Damon smirked as he sat down on the kitchen counter only for Elena to glare at him.

"What's up?" Alaric asked them casually before walking further into the kitchen.

Elena glanced up at him as she stood close to Holden. "What time do you want to go to the Lockwood party?" she asked as Ric shrugged.

"Ah. Those founders parties aren't really my thing," he said as Holden smirked before taking a taste of chili.

Damon looked at his brother with a bored look, then glanced back at his best friend. "Show up, there's going to be nine other people that brought chili."

Holden just laughed gleefully as Elena looked at the man she secretly loved. "It's an old family recipe, okay?" she snapped.

"Yeah, and they made sucky chili," Holden teased with a smile. Elena didn't want to laugh, but couldn't contain it so Alaric just glanced between them as Damon grinned slightly.

"Why are you two here, exactly?" Alaric questioned curiously.

Holden just glanced at Elena, who rolled her eyes angrily. "Holden thinks I'm going to break. I'm not going to break," she answered sending the Salvatores a look so they both just raised their eyebrows. "I am just going to keep making chili, pretend like I didn't just spend the entire summer looking for someone who didn't want to be found."

"She's in denial," Holden told Alaric so Elena snapped her head back at him with an incredulous face.

"I'm not in denial," she whispered angrily so Holden looked down at her neck, where he saw the necklace. Stefan's gift to her.

"Then what is that?" he pointed to it with his eyes so Elena just touched it before frowning slightly. "It was Stefan's gift so..."