1. Summer Of Our Lives

-----------

-----------

Bon Iver - Skinny Love

"And I told you to be patient
And I told you to be fine
And I told you to be balanced
And I told you to be kind."

A FEW MONTHS HAD PASSED WITH STEFAN BEING GONE SOMEWHERE WITH KLAUS. In exchange, his brothers got to live, but they didn't feel good without their younger brother.

Elena, of course, was heartbroken, but didn't try to show it whatsoever. Holden saw through her smiles, sayings that she was fine. They spent time quite a lot and got even closer, but never talked about the thing before Holden almost died, or that kiss. Or Elena sobbing while holding his dying body.

Holden could still remember that and it made his spine go down with shivers because he knew Elena felt something as well.

It was a quiet and beautiful morning in the Salvatore Boarding House as Holden was sitting in the parlor room, reading a newspaper for any sign of Stefan and Klaus. He and Damon were doing that for the whole summer. Though Holden made sure Damon wouldn't tell Elena, because he didn't want to get her hopes up.

Elena walked in with a sigh before noticing him sitting there before she smiled. "Morning," Elena said and Holden raised his head, noticing her just then.

"Oh, hey," he smiled back before closing the newspaper and putting it away.

The Gilbert girl just furrowed her eyebrows. "Since when do you read a newspaper?" she asked with a laugh and Holden narrowed his eyes playfully before standing up and walking to stand in front of her.

"I do have guilty pleasures, Miss Gilbert," he mused so Elena smiled and finally wrapped her hands around him for a friendly hug. Holden smiled and hugged her back as Elena closed her eyes, feeling once again safe. "Happy birthday, Elena."

"Thank you," she whispered before they pulled away. Elena then turned back to look through her bag as Damon walked in. Holden noticed Damon's naked body and looked away. "Hey, I was gonna..." Elena turned back around and saw Damon. He smirked as she covered her eyes. "Oh!"

Elena turned her back to them as Holden glared at Damon harshly. "You heard me! You knew that I was here," she said in annoyance.

Damon's and Elena's relationship was really weird for Holden as they had that hate and friendliness with each other that switched like minutes. "Yeah, you should learn to knock," Damon mused arrogantly as Holden grabbed a towel. "What if Holdie and I were... indecent?"