6. Wanted Kids

-----------

-----------

City and Colour - Little Hell

"What if I can't be all that you need me to be
We've got a good thing going, we have some promises to keep."

HOLDEN WALKED OUT OF THE SHOWER LAZILY AS HIS PHONE RANG. He noticed that Elena was calling and smiled before picking it up. "Hi, I'm just calling to—" she began quickly as if she was afraid for him to talk.

"Good morning to you too, Elena," Holden cut her off as he wiped the steamy mirror and looked at himself. A smirk was lingering on his lips and he had no idea why. It's not like Holden had a lot of reasons to be happy. Stefan turned his emotions off, Klaus knew Elena was alive. Nothing was good, and yet Holden always managed to smile whenever he heard Elena's voice.

Elena sighed as he heard her chuckle sadly. "Yeah, hi. I'm just calling to see how's things here," she mused as he heard her park her car.

Senior year started so Holden knew Elena would be in school by the time she called him. "Nothing to worry about, just my ripper brother, who decided to live here again, since it's his home," Holden commented with a grumble.

The girl didn't say anything as Holden knew she was still broken about the whole bitting her thing. "It's first back to school day, Miss Gilbert. What's the resolutions this year?" he asked playfully, walking into his room and opening a drawer to find some clothes for the day.

"Trying to live my life... Just as you told me," she answered gently, feeling slightly less bad after talking with Holden. He took her home the other day and wanted to stay, but Elena insisted that she would be fine. "Also... There's a bonfire tonight and I'm sure Caroline will drag me there."

Holden chuckled as he couldn't believe it has been a year already as he was back in Mystic Falls. Time went on quickly, too quickly, and that never happened while he was a vampire. "A year since we've met... Well, technically I was lurking," he commented as he could feel Elena smiling. "My normal self."

"Ah, well, you're less creepy now. I should say death becomes you," she joked as Holden stood in one place, a smile visible on his face. "Stefan's gone off rails and here you are, joking with me."

Holden was about to speak when he heard girls giggling downstairs before rolling his eyes. "Anyways, Elena, as much as I'd like to continue our conversation, I have to go deal with my two annoying brothers. I'll see you tonight," he said then hung up.

Damon went down the stairs with his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. There were two dead girls on the floor at the foot of the stairs. He walked over them and entered the living room. Stefan was there with a few girls. They were playing Twister, and a lot of blood was on the Twister's mat. "Uh-oh. Alexandra, left hand, please," Stefan smirked and the girl gave him a hand.