Chapter 55- Silence

Silence...

Nothing but the clinking of the utensils hitting the plate as we ate dinner. Awkwardness filled the air. Kent ate his food, but kept his stare at Adam. Adam tried to keep his gaze on the food. I would understand the silence if I knew that it was because of Peter's death. But no. It's about my brother's being overprotective.

He's always like this. Back in elementary, I liked this cool blonde guy heartthrob and he asked me out... and guess what Kent did? He challenged him to a fight after recess. Back in High School, a cute guy senior asked me out... and guess what Kent did? He blackmailed him. The only reason that I could go out with the guys I liked was because I pleaded my parents to stop Kent from murdering those guys. It looks like that's not gonna work with Adam's case.

I mean, it's cool to know that someone cares for you. But sometimes it can really get on your nerves.

"So..." I broke the silence. "When's the funeral, Kent?"

"Oh..." he diverted his attention to me. "It's on Wednesday. We'll be having it back at France. If you guys can make it... please do. I can buy you guys plane tickets immediately." he explained sadly and looked at all of us... except Adam. Dang dude...

"I'll go." I smiled widely. Hey, I would give up any other ordinary day just to be there with my brother.

"Of course, we'll go." my parents agreed as well.

"Thanks guys. I just need this right now." Kent sighed and slowly ate his food.

We all exchanged smiles and continued to eat our food.

Then, there was silence once again...

Awkward silence.

We can't start a conversation because we all needed to level with Kent's state. You can't just suddenly tell a funny story with Kent right there, probably still crying inside.

He stared at his food.

But hey, at least he stopped glaring at Adam.