Chapter 15

"Are you sure I won't get burnt?" I asked Taeil while staring at the contents and materials on the table.

He actually has his own little science lab here at his house, well, his old one since he lives at the entertainment dorms.

"You chose the experiment," Taeil replied.

"So .. How's it done again?" I asked nervously.

"A small quantity of potassium chlorate is carefully heated in a large test tube, clamped to a ring stand over a flame, until it has melted. A Gummi Bear candy is added to the container, resulting in a vigorous reaction. The bear dances amidst bright purple flames," Taeil said, reading off an article on the laptop.

We had been looking for any cool experiments to do for the Science Fair and I came across one named, 'The Dancing Gummy Bear' where it causes a chemical reaction with potassium, and I found it cool so we decided to try it out.

"Okay, I'll tell you the instructions while you work. Put on these," Taeil said, handing me goggles, an apron, and gloves. I put them on and waited for his instructions.

"First, place about 1-2 grams of potassium chlorate solid into the Pyrex test tube, then place it on the test tube clamp," He said.

"Which one is the potassium chlorate?" I asked in confusion. He pointed to it and I grabbed it, putting it onto the test tube. If the experiment turns out to be successful, I'll just have to make the presentation board, grab more information about it, and I'll already be ready for the fair.

"Now place the Bunsen burner under it, and it should melt to liquid," Taeil stated. I obeyed and saw the solid melt. When it was fully melted, I turned the gas off.

"Is this when I drop the poor gummy bear?" I asked him.

"Wait, let me stand back," He said, taking his laptop and sitting in a table away from the counter. I grabbed a gummy bear with the tongs and I carefully placed it over the tube.

"Bye bye," I told the red gummy bear, which exploded once it was placed inside the tube. I quickly stood back and watched it spark purple and for smoke to appear. After a couple of seconds, it stopped and the gummy bear was probably melted in the tube.

Taeil clapped and I smiled.

"It was perfect," He complimented.

"Do you think I could win?" I asked.

"Of course," He said. I smiled and hugged him.

"I love you so much!" I exclaimed, hugging him tightly.

"I love you more, but you're choking me," He said. I let go and chuckled.

"It's not my fault you're so small," I teased.

"You're not so tall yourself," He said with a smirk.

After I cleaned up everything, I wrote down the observation in my notebook and Taeil let me borrow his laptop to research more about it so I could write it in my presentation.

"So, it says the potassium chloride is an oxidizer, chemical formula is KClO3," I stated, writing it down.

"Which is why it reacted with the gummy bear, it reacts with sucrose," Taeil explained.

I wrote down everything I had gotten, and I also wrote down all the chemical equations made in the experiment.

"I can't wait to do that at the Science Fair," I said happily.

"I'm sorry if I won't be able to go, the Science Fair is going to be a week before our debut," Taeil stated.

"It's okay," I said with a smile. I can't imagine him debuting already, it's like it happened so suddenly.