Two) North Winds Compound

Mars was different from Earth in so many ways. The most noticeable was the construction style of the buildings. The North Winds Compound was in one of the many bubbles dotted around the planet. Being a closed space with little options for expanding outward the bubble was to mount buildings on it. Hanging from the curved dome giant beehive like buildings were clustered close together while huge sky scrapers cluttered the ground and long light roads filled the space above them crating a chaotic looking metropolis.

  Alexis and Eve were riding on a hover craft taking that followed a light road, basically lasers to guide the hover crafts and making a road system for the hover crafts. On Earth these kinds of cars needed to be close to the ground to work or next to a wall but here on Mars they seemed to have learned how to work out that bug somehow. They were flying at high speeds high above the ground. Alexis peered out the window looking down, any place where a building wasn’t occupied trees grew wildly making the buildings look like they were trees themselves.

  One thing about hover crafts is that they’re spheres, the seats are sitting on free swinging pivots so when the craft connects to a vertical surface the occupants are forced to lay back. When the hover craft took a ninety degree turn up the chairs jostled as they turned to keep everyone up right.

  “You know the lasers aren’t just light.” Geoff said with a sly smirk. “Their small magnetic cables wrapped in fibrotic wires.” Alexis looked over to the were-coyote. “So these aren’t hover crafts.” She mused in awe.

  “Nope it’s a complex trolley system.” Alexis looked back out the window as they headed toward the beehive building situated at the very top of the dome. “It’s ingenious really. We used airless blimps for a while, but they were too slow and too large for civilian use. Then we tried to used hover crafts but the area is to dense for that kind of road system. Then some scientist suggests magnets and the rest is history.” Geoff explained with a light smile.

  “Tell me more about the Alpha.” Eve cut in as she addressed Richard.

  “He’s a sweet man, a little off. But that’s only because of his past and well his life…choices.” He said with a shrug. “He runs the pack with unnatural ease. He’s the best Alpha we’ve had in generations. He may even go down into history with Alpha Blaine and Alpha Kai.” Alexis snapped her gaze over to him her neck hurt for a moment at the speed. “What did you say?” That couldn’t be right, no, it just wasn’t.

  “He’s a good Alpha.” Richard repeated.

  “No about the Alphas.” Alexis persisted and Richard shrugged.

  “Alpha Blaine and Alpha Kai were mates they were one of the Alphas ruling before the humans killed themselves. They kept Crawlers from taking over the territory merged with more than ten well known packs and had a son who made ties with the vampires that still stand today. Even their grandson is legendary, but he didn’t have any kids so the Alpha line passed down to the Beta who wasn’t anything special, many believe that if the grandson had kids the line of greatness would have continued.” He explained.

  Alexis stared at him this all sounded so familiar, like retelling old memories. She could have sworn she knew these people Richard was talking about, or at least Fury reacted strongly to these names. She got excited and really happy about the mention of them being so amazing. Then she egged on a question Alexis found herself asking before she could stop herself.

  “What about the Betas?”

  “Beta Zaid and Beta Raph?” Richard laughed, “Blood thirsty pair if you’d call them that. Completely devoted to each other and the pack. If anyone threatened them or the pack that wolf or person wouldn’t have long to live. They say Beta Zaid killed Beta Raph’s father for being an abusive parent. The story of their killing spree goes on and on but the most memorable is when Raph went on a rampage when he thought Beta Zaid was dead.” Alexis blinked a few times and looked away from Richard as images of blood and the comfort of someone holding her flashed into her head and Fury purring happily.