Five) The Invasion Martian Wolves

Alexis wakes up far later then she’s used to Eve is sitting at the foot of her bed streaming a video on the window that converts into a screen. It’s dark in her room without the light being let in from the sun, as the walls flash with colors from the screen. Alexis blinks away the sleep when a few words snap through her sleepy haze. “It’s been confirmed a Martian ship has landed off the coast of Australia a few weeks ago.” The reporter said making Alexis turn and look over to the screen. A video of the ship breaking through the atmosphere and crashing into the water played on repeat. The ship looked small, most likely having been ejected from a mother ship.

  “While Earth and Mars are on friendly terms this landing was unscheduled and will be taking as hostile until further notice can be provided. We’ve been told that the ship has yet to be recovered from the water, however the Australian government has confirmed that the ship belongs to the North Winds pack.” Alexis sat up then in disbelief. The North Winds Pack left the planet not long after the first bombs went off, they haven’t returned since. They may control a lot on Earth but the Pack lives on Mars. Alexis wasn’t surprised the Earth protectors were taking it as hostile if the ship had been crash landing a mayday beacon would have lit up the satellites long before the ship hit the atmosphere.

  “Wow.” Eve said as she munched on what looked like dinner. Alexis stretched and let out a low groan. “How long have I been out?”

  “All night and all day,” Eve answered without looking away from the screen. “Can you believe this? I wonder what they want; I bet the conspiracy theorists are going nuts over this.” She said finally looking over to Alexis and smiled. “My bet is they finally found some kind of artifact they’d been looking for and now they’ve come to retrieve it. Only is belongs to some rich guy or it’s in a museum and they’ll need to steal it. Which causes a planetary war and then Luna becomes like a frontier line of defense. Then Deimos will be blown up while Phobos is mined for resources because without the Earth’s mining ships Mars can’t support its civilizations. Finally Mars gets the artifact and completely destroys Earth’s population leaving room for Mars to reshape it into a second home.” Alexis just stared at her after she’d finished.

  “Lovely imagination you have there.” Alexis said hating how her voice croaked from sleep. Eve smiled happily and nodded, “Thank you I plan on making big bucks in writing fantasy novels.” Alexis rolled her eyes and flopped back down still feeling wiped out. “We are fantasy.” Alexis pointed out.

  “But that’s from a human’s imagination not a wolf’s.” Eve pointed out. “Besides this could be historical fiction for all we know.” Eve said then gasped hopping up and down. “Do you think the Martian wolves will look different?” Alexis looked at her again just because that question made no sense.

  “What?”

  “Oh come on Lex, I think they’ll be taller I mean the Gravity there is lower right? So naturally they’d be taller cause theirs less pushing them back down…so…would that mean if they come here they’ll get hurt?” Eve asked looking over to Alexis ho sat up and sighed.

  “No, When they first settled on Mars the cities had artificial gravity, yeah it was still less then Earth but it wasn’t the sixty some that there was on the outside of the cities. After the terra forming took and the cities lost the bubbles and wolves used special suits to accommodate for the gravity shift. After time the wolves got used to the low gravity and so now on the month journey to get to Earth the ships are designed to make the gravity change unnoticeable for the travelers.” Alexis explained wondering how in the hell Eve lasted this long without knowing that.

  “So…They’ll be taller?” Eve asked and Alexis sighed shaking her head. “I don’t know Eve; I’ve never seen a Martian before.”

  “Do you think they’re weaker than us?” Eve mused as she unmuted the audio the reporter handed the broadcast over to the weather guy. He talked about the general patterns of the climate on Earth and Luna. “Luna will be fully visible tonight so if you’d like to say high to our friends living there pull out a telescope tonight to watch the firework show.” He said in a cheery voice as pictures of the fireworks from last month showed behind him. Every full moon the wolves living on the moon would set off special fireworks that exploded and were pretty even without any air. They weren’t as spectacular as the normal fireworks at home but they were still pretty.

  Alexis yawned and got out of bed to get something to eat. Eve hopped up and followed her. “Jamie was asking about you a lot today.” She said clicking a button on her interface to switch the screen on out here to continue the news broad cast on mute. She then handed Alexis’ interface over to her so she could browse through the pings. They were all from Jamie; he was turning out to be a bit over baring like he was afraid to lose her. Alexis shook her head and smirked, it was cute but for some reason she wanted to yell at him for it.

  “I’ve been feeling off.” Alexis mused aloud. She wasn’t really expecting Eve to be listening and was surprised when Eve asked, “What do you mean?” She handed Alexis a glass of orange juice and a bagel. “It’s just… mates don’t get on each other nerves right? They don’t annoy each other by just being themselves right?” Alexis asked staring down at a particularly long ping. Jamie was going on about how worried he is and how he thought about calling a healer for help. Alexis loved him but this was too much, she’d been light headed and was perfectly fine Jamie should know that.

  “I don’t know I haven’t met my mate yet.” Eve said with a shrug. Alexis looked up at her, “Right…sorry.”

  “It’s fine, don’t worry about it. I’ve got another six months before we go home.” She said sounding perfectly fine with not finding her mate. Her gut twisted at the thought of never finding Jamie. It was a weirdly fine thought, nothing about it felt devastating though she knew she should at least feel worried or scared right? But not even a little bit.

  Alexis didn’t have long to ponder it when sirens outside started going off and the Alpha Beat tower turned red and started flashing like a warning light. Eve shut off the screen as she and Alexis rushed to the window and looked out just in time to see the force field being raised to create a bubble around them. Moments later the tremors started, Eve grabbed onto Alexis as they both were jolted and almost fell over. “What the hell?” Eve gasped out as the water rose around the force field. “We’re sinking!”

  Alexis watched as the sun light faded as the city sunk below the water. Alexis looked up just in time to see something smash into the force field and actually make it through. It looked like the force field had made a hole for whatever it was to pass through unharmed as well as a bit of water. It shot through the sky and soon was out of the window’s view.

  “Did you see that?” Alexis asked pressing closer to the window to see where the thing went. “Yeah, we’re under freaking water.” Eve said in awe. “No, the thing that came through just before that.” Alexis said as the city continued to sink lower it got darker and darker. The glass wall and the top of Alpha Beat Tower started to glow brightly simulating daylight perfectly.

  “Whoa…” Alexis and Eve both breathed out. It took a few minutes for the city to finally stop sinking and settle on the bottom. Alexis and Eve were sitting on the cough just staring out the window silently both to cowardly to leave to their room.

  Without warning the screen flicked on and an officer was displayed standing in front of a light grey backdrop. “We apologize for the sudden submerging of the Sanctuary, however it’s come to our notice that Earth may be under attack and so we’ve taken defensive actions against this threat. We will cease any social gatherings and ask that you all stay off the streets until we can sweep the city from wall to wall to make sure Sanctuary is secure.” He said and then the back drop changed to show a picture of a flying drone.

  “You will see many of these surveillance drones flying around as well as ground units canvassing the perimeter of Sanctuary. If you know or find any information about anything unusual you will ping an officer about it and someone will come to you to ask questions. We ask that you stay patient and remain calm in this uncertain time, thank you.” He said finally and the screen turned off leaving Eve and Alexis staring out the window again.

  “We’re so fucked.” Eve said definitely as Alexis’ mind wonder to the thing that got through the force field, yup, definitely screwed.

~~~~

So Martian wolves... Yeah I did that. Vote to show support and comment your thoughts you must know by know now that I love both.