1) Saying Goodbye

The party outside was in full swing as his litter mates enjoyed their last night in the pack unmated. Damien watched the Wolf’s moon thoughtfully, he hadn’t been eighteen for long and he was already being sent off to Sanctuary, but that’s what he got for being born in December. Damien shifted around in his chair and rested his arms on the window ceil and laid his head down and just stared up at the moon. Long ago it’d been hit with a meteor and was nudged closer to the Earth for a while wolves, leeches and fair folk alike were worried they’d have to send missiles up to eject it from its orbit as it got closer and closer. But the moon’s orbit stabilized and now hangs large in the sky lighting up the night with its eerie glow.

  Glancing down Damien watched Abigail make out with Jake. Everyone knew they had a thing going on but it was ignored because they weren’t mates. Everyone knew it wasn’t going to last long after their stay in Sanctuary they’d come home with their own mates. Damien didn’t think their three yearlong friends with benefits thing would last longer than a few weeks. Jake never seemed that interested in Abigail, boy was he wrong.

  The thought of finding his mate was thrilling Damien always imagined her as head strong and compassionate. His father told him that she’ll be perfect for him and they’ll live happily. Damien knows she’ll complete him making everything better and they’ll have strong pups to carry on the Darkest Sun’s Alpha lineage. She’d be everything he needed and more.

  His door opened and his older brother walked in. Blond hair was a mess as he stumbled in smiling broadly. His eyes were unfocused for a moment before he noticed Damien. “Hey there little guy.” He greeted with a slight bow. Damien nodded before turning back to the window. “Whatcha doing?” Scott asked as he walked over. Damien shrugged looking down to the empty yard Abigail and Jake had gone; they most likely heard Scott and bolted.

  “Not much,” Damien answered as Scott placed a hand on his shoulder and squeezed just hard enough for it to be a bit painful. “Don’t worry, you’ll find her.” Damien looked up at his brother, Scott hadn’t found his mate. He returned as the only one of his litter mates who came home alone. He refused to say anything about what happened. Damien thinks maybe Scott hates himself, for being born a light pelt and then not finding his mate.

  But Damien loves his older brother; he’s always been there for Damien and his twin sister. He was there when everything went to shit and was there when the worst possible outcome came to fruition. He was there to walk them through the darkness and was there when everyone was at their wits end. He was there to pick up the pieces and make peace where war and hatred had over run their lives. He was just there and Damien loves him for it.

  “Thanks,” Damien nodded again as he looked over to Scott who gave another painful reassuring squeeze. “Why were you pretending to be drunk?” Damien smells the alcohol on him but he’s not drunk, not even a little. Scott grabbed a chair and pulled it up next to Damien and sat down. He let out a slow sigh as he stared off thoughtfully for a moment before he said; “Appearances I guess,” Scoot gave a shrug and looked out to the moon. “What do you think it’s like?” Damien leaned back in his chair to get a good look at his brother in the dark room. He didn’t have any lights on. Damien just watched his brother waiting for him to explain. Scott looked back to him and blinked but said nothing.

  “What?” Damien asked with a frown as he crossed his arms.

  “Being mated,” Scott explained.

  “You remember my birthday right?” Damien asked as he bit his lip, remembering the way it felt like the whole world just dropped out under him and was tossed away replaced with something else, it was foreign but it just felt right.

  “Yeah you kept going on about how everything was different but you couldn’t explain it but you knew your mate was out there. You were so sure you could feel her.” Scott rolled his eyes; Damien knew it wasn’t normal to be able to ‘feel’ you’re mate like that not before you’ve made the bond. But Damien did, the feeling woke him up and suddenly he knew she was out there waiting for him. If Damien concentrated on that feeling now he could sense her out there waiting for him. He knew she could feel him too; he looked forward to when they’d finally meet. He had a lot to say to her. Scott patted his shoulder bringing him out of his thoughts, “It’s just pre-Sanctuary jitters; not many pups are born in December. Most pups are born in spring and the end of winter.”