Life Lost (Marco Bodt x Oc)

To Beth, Marco was everything she'd ever thought about her future husband being. He was kind, smart, and humble. When they first met it was like an explosion or something. When they met she knew it right away, she was hooked on him.

'What am I doing here?' Beth thinks as she stands there in line like everyone else. The crazy-ass instructor Keith Shadis had just finished taking down some poor sap that didn't give him an answer that satisfied him. Beth was trembling in her knees. What the hell was she doing here? She had no reason to go and fight. She was from a nice family in Trost that was fairly well off. In fact her family had said she was insane.

Maybe that's why she signed up in the first place.

Either way surviving Shadis was the first ordeal. He stands in front of Beth, glaring down at her trembling knees, "WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU? ARE YOU SCARED! THE MILITARY HAS NO NEED FOR PATHETIC WEAKLINGS WHO ARE ALREADY SCARED ON THEIR FIRST DAY OF BASIC TRAINING!" He roars in her face. 

Beth presses back her fear as much as possible as she glares at this bastard, "NO Sir! I'm trembling with excitement to get started!"

"WHY ARE YOU HERE? WHAT'S YOUR REASON?"

"My reasons are my own sir!"

Shadis glares back at her and she can feel the shocked/pitying stares. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOUR OWN! THE MILITARY HAS NO NEED FOR SECRETS!"

"Easy enough sir! My reasons for joining are insignificant! If you find I can't handle the training then I go home and that means my reasons weren't enough to carry me through! If I survive then what does it matter?"

"Interesting."

************

'Why the hell did I have to open my big mouth?' Beth thinks as she continues running. After her little... "Mouthing off" to Shadis he'd told her to run until she dropped. Without a word she'd accepted his punishment. After all, she was determined to show all of her fellow recruits that she wasn't some mouthy bitch who couldn't take the consequences.

As it was, she'd missed dinner already. Despite smelling dinner she pressed on. Her legs already ached from the running she had done, her breathing was labored, lungs burning for air.  Taking another step forward she trips over the ground, her knees lose strength and she hits the earth hard. This was it, she had no more strength left in her; she was done. 

Closing her eyes she trys to focus on something other than how bad her body felt. Really, lying on the ground was a blessing. All of her muscles ached and her stomach was practically eating itself. Still, with the tension gone from her muscles she was able to just focus on breathing. 

"Hey, are you okay?"

Beth can only groan at this moment. Did she look like she's okay?

"Alright, stupid question. Give me a second." He rolls her over and Beth is greeted with the sight of quite a handsom face.

His hair was brown, a nice chocolate brown. It offset the fawn color of his eyes. His face looked kind as well but yet somewhat boyish with freckles dotted across his face. He looked kind, hell to come out here and check to see if she was alright, was kind. In his hand was a piece of bread. He helps Beth sit up and holds the piece of bread to her lips.

"Here, you need your strength. I snagged an extra piece at dinner."

Beth gives a short smile before beginning to eat the piece of bread. This guy she wanted to know more about.