Always (AU!Eren Jeager x Reader)

You always admired Eren since you first met him.

He was nice when you had a bad day.

He was a shoulder to cry on when the stress got to be too much.

He was your backup when someone picked on you.

A place to stay when things got to be too much in your dorm.

He was the person you trusted above anyone else,

And those were the reasons why you’d always love him.

Even if you could never verbally admit it.

Tears stream down your face as you slump against the wall of your work’s bathroom. You click the phone in your hand to end the call from your boyfriend, sorry, ex-boyfriend of three years. Bertolt had just called you up to tell you that he really just wasn’t feeling your relationship anymore and it would be better to move on.  However what made it worse was that he said he left all of your things outside of his apartment the two of you shared. So not only were you single, but you were homeless and single.

Doing your best to clean your sloppy appearance up, you wipe your eyes and attempt to appear as though your life wasn’t going to hell. When you walk out of the bathroom you go past most of your coworkers as fast as possible and then give two quick knocks to your boss’s door.

“Come in.”

You enter into the room to see your boss, Levi Rivaille, at his desk as always. He has a black pair of thick rimmed glasses perched down on his nose as he looks over the latest notes from this week’s meeting.  However at your unscheduled appearance in his office Levi sets down his papers and gives you a careful once over.

“What the hell happened to you?” His words are harsh.

You look at the floor immediately, “W-well you see… I-I kind of have a personal e-emmergen-cy that I n-need to take c-cc-care of.”

“You’re here to ask for time off.” Blunt as ever.

You nod, “Y-yes sir.”

“Take the rest of the week, be back on Monday.” He picks up his papers and begins to read over them again, “I expect your work to be on my desk by then too. Go.”

Not needing any further prompting you exit his office and then are packing up your things in your cubicle. Unfortunately you’re so into packing up everything that you don’t realize that your coworkers are watching you from over top their own cubicles.

“Uhm… (Name) are you alright?” Eren asks as he comes into your cubicle, tentative.

You purse your lips and nod your head before you burst into tears again. You really don’t need this at the moment because seeing Eren makes you think about how much you want to be in a relationship with him and that in turn takes you back to the reason why you’re feeling so down at the moment.

You’re about to slip your folders for work for the next couple of days in your satchel when Eren grips your wrist in his hand in a gentle manner. “(Name)… look at me and tell me you’re alright.” He says with finality.

You turn your watery, bloodshot eyes to his face, “I-I… I’m not okay.”

You take your hand from his grip and then run out of the office. You don’t even realize that Eren’s watching you go, worried for you.

LINEBREAK

You sigh and shuffle into your temporary kitchen. It was Wednesday and so far you’d only managed to drag your stuff to a motel and crash there. Needless to say, you were feeling pretty down. Grabbing a cup of coffee you sit at the small kitchen table and cup the mug in both hands. The steam wafting off of the top of the brown liquid had a trance-like effect. You know that you should be working on the massive stacks of paper work that is due next Monday but you can’t bring yourself to touch it yet. Instead you decide to take a walk around town.

Grabbing up your coat you then grab your purse and phone and then head out the door. The motel is located in the center of town so it’s not that far to walk to the shopping centers and eateries. The day is crisp and you feel your head clearing already.

“Hey (Name)!”

Turning around you find Eren hurrying up to you with a brown bag of groceries in hand, “Oh, hello Eren.”

The Jaeger stops in front of you slightly panting, “H-hey! I haven’t seen you come into work for two days now, what happened?”

You sigh and rub the back of your neck awkwardly. You don’t really know if you should tell him your problems or not. However at the look he gives you, you give in, “Honestly, my boyfriend of a few years just dumped me and kinda left me with no place to live.”

“What! That’s terrible! Who is this asshole?” Eren looks at you hard.

You shake your head, “Don’t waste your time, he isn’t worth it.”

“Well…” He shifts his weight from one foot to the next, “Do you have a place to stay at least?”

“I’m staying at a motel for now and hopefully I can figure something else out before long.”

“I have an empty room if you want to stay at my place.”

You look up at him shocked, “Y-you’d seriously let me stay with you and Mikasa?”

“Ah…” Now it’s his turn to look torn, “She actually moved in with Jean close to a month ago when they got engaged. So, it’s actually her room that’s vacant.”

“Oh, are you sure that you want me to move in? I mean won’t you miss the solitude?”

Eren waves your statement off with a hand and a scrunched up face, “Honestly it’s easier living with someone than without I’ve found. Anyways if you want to then the room is yours.”

“Are you sure I won’t be intruding?”

“(Name),” He looks you dead in the eyes, “You could never intrude in my life. Besides, I’m the one offering.”

You smile and hug him, “Thank you so much Eren!”

And so your relationship began.