Chapter 42

(A/N ~ I hadn't realized till last night that I was very unclear and mistakenly made it seem like Michael was the one to leave Calum's house when it was Luke, I'm sorry. Forgive me I was tired.)

*Luke's POV*

"Steven, I swear to fucking God if you tell him anything-" I yell into the phone angrily, but my threat gets cut off by Steven telling me to relax. He's telling me that Calum won't find out, that we'll just have to do it somewhere else, for me to stay calm. I can't fucking stay calm. I haven't had a smoke all day, I'm on edge and now I find out that Calum's dad's boyfriend's son is fucking Steven. The same Steven from freshman year, the same Steven that knows so much shit I haven't told Calum yet. The Steven who can open his damn mouth because he's so fucking clueless 90% of the time.

My car's parked outside in the front of my house, and I'm just sitting here yelling at Steven, threatening Steven, and questioning Steven as to why he didn't tell me the second he found out his dad had a boyfriend and it was Calum's fucking dad, of all dads.

"Listen, I wouldn't do that to you. You know I wouldn't. I know how much this stupid kid means to you and I know this shit will make him want to come nowhere within a 10-mile radius of you. I know that, so I won't tell him," he tells me honestly as I sink back into the car seat.

"I have to tell him. I have to be honest with him. I just don't know how. He's going to leave, I don't want him to leave. He probably won't even stand to hear the whole story. He'll hear half and flee. I know that."

"He's different. He'll hear you out. He's dealt with all your shit thus far. Cut him some slack," Steven tells me honestly and I'm actually surprised by how helpful and understanding he's being.

"There's just so much he can take. My life's been so fucked up, and he won't be able to take the truth, not now with this shit with his mom and now him adapting to living with you. I'm just trying to protect him. I don't want him worrying and I don't want him to look at me differently or run into Michael's arms like he's some fucking angel." I say remembering he's with Michael in his house alone, doing God knows fucking what.

"You can't even protect yourself. How do you even comprehend the slightest thought that you're protecting him with these lies?

"What are you implying?"

"I think you need to pull back with all this stuff, the drugs, they're getting to you like last time. I don't want a repeat of last time," he says and I want to slam something against the dashboard, but nothing's in sight for my angry thoughts.

Instead, I steady my voice, almost to a calm tone to respond back to Steven most convincingly. "I'm fine, I can control it. I'd tell you if it were out of control. You know the urges," I lie.

"Yeah, because you did that so well last time," he states, sarcasm clear in his voice.

"Don't speak of last time," I retort.

"Luke, don't tell me not to speak of last time. You were dead for a split second. You were dead because of this, because of all this shit. Your death was gonna be on my head."

"My death was going to be my own fault." And it will always be.

"Well, nothing of that sort is going to happen," he says and I sigh, suddenly wondering what Michael and Calum are doing while I sit here and discuss my addiction issues with Steven as if he doesn't smoke and get high 24/7.

"Is Calum home?" I ask him.

"No, he isn't. I know his dad is freaking out, though. It's amusing," he laughs.

"How the hell did his dad end up dating your fucking dad of all gay guys in Amsterdam?"

"They met in LA when he was on a business trip, and never could really shake him off. He was always quite fond of him."