Chapter 16

The sun is beaming through the window shining upon me, but that's not what woke me up at all. I pushed myself up against the headboard of the bed wiping sleep from my eyes. Once everything in my body had adapted to being awake, I focused my ears to what woke me up. The loud chatter, from what I assume was coming from the kitchen. Between my mom and Vanessa. They weren't being quite low and discreet at all.

I thought long and hard about getting up and entering the kitchen making it known that I am indeed awake. But after hearing my name, I decided against it completely.

"I'm worried about Calum." I heard Vanessa say.

"Lower your voice, dear. He might wake and hear you," my mother replied with. Little did she know I was already fully awake and eavesdropping with no shame.

"He won't. He came back in last night tired as ever. He'll most likely sleep in till noon," she says, lowering her tone a little but still loud enough for me to hear down the hall in my room with the door ajar.

"I'm worried about him too. The move, you know? He's never been good with moving in the past or very keen on it for that matter." My mother states, "He's been hanging around this Luke kid and I can't help but get this feeling I used to get when he would hang around with Charlie all the time."

"I met him when I got here yesterday, blonde tall fellow, right?" Vanessa ask.

"Yes. I hear things. I heard he's gay and his family is the richest family in the neighborhood. His parents ought to be ashamed to have such a high respected elite family, with a gay son as representation of them," My mother slurs and I can almost feel her eye rolls in her head from all the way out here.

When Vanessa said nothing, my mother continued to speak.

"I don't want him associating with the likes of them. The likes of those kids who've chosen that kind of lifestyle." She says, "I lost control over him in California when his father left us. That's when I noticed he began to latch on closer to Charlie than before, but he knows better, better than to go down that lifestyle path." She finishes anger clear in her voice.

"Charlie misses him, talks about him an awful lot. They were best mates," Vanessa says to try and calm my mom down.

Silence fills the air, and I assume my mother is in deep thought about the topic of Charlie.

"Calum isn't gay, Mrs. Hood, and besides, Charlie wouldn't have tried anything on Calum without his permission. Charlie always cared about Calum way too much to do something he didn't want to be done." The memories of me and Charlie began playing in my head like a movie. She was right. He never did anything I didn't want to do, but somehow he knew exactly what I wanted to do before I even knew I wanted to. Even though, back in those days and till this day I still refuse to believe any of my actual wants and needs.

"I shouldn't have let him hang out with that homosexual. I should've ended that friendship before it even began," my mother quickly says, but then continues on, "You're right. Calum isn't gay. I raised him right and look he's with a beautiful girl like you."

"He's nothing like his father at all, and never will be," she states, positive of her statement.

"Yeah, he isn't a homosexual. We know the real Calum," Vanessa says in what I think she thinks my honor.

"I still get a bad vibe from that Luke kid. He was here Friday night. He was here with Calum in his bed. The sight made me wanna cringe in shock. I haven't fully questioned Calum because he seemed to not even know and I don't want to start off this move with him being reluctant towards me," my mother says.