Chapter 43

*Luke's POV*

"Where's your boyfriend?" Steven slurs, obviously already high as we walk through the park trying to find a secluded area. I haven't been here since I not-so-accidentally followed Calum out here, putting the moves on him just to see if I'd get a rise out of him. All that toying with him seems like forever ago, when he was so sure of himself not being gay. I didn't know how to feel when he simply wouldn't just admit it to me. It drove me mad to see him fighting himself internally and I wasn't much help at the time, seeing I was the one who awoke all the feelings he was trying to hide away.

I feel pleased at the fact that he's not denying who he truly is anymore. It was fucking irritating, and I'm just glad it's over so I don't have to convince myself that him liking me is out of this universe or not able to happen in this lifetime if that makes sense.

"He's seeing his mom," I finally tell Steven as we settle at a far-off hillside that's furthest away from the park. We probably could've gone further just for safety purposes, but I'm tired and my body seems to be twitching for a blunt and some pills.

"Why didn't you go with him?" He asks before he reluctantly hands me small orange pills that I swallow whole.

"He needs privacy and besides, I can't be up his ass every second of the day no matter how much I'd love to," I admit to Steven, laying down on the green grass on the hillside.

It's chilly out. The sky is slowly becoming dark and filling with orange, signaling the sun setting as I lay down, staring at the small clouds up in the sky form and deform.

"Well, aren't you considerate," he laughs, lighting a blunt and handing it to me.

Holding it between my fingers, I inhale deeply, and soon after, I exhale smoke rings to float around the air as my eyes follow them, putting my body in a relaxing ease.

"Are you going to Cooper's Halloween party tomorrow?" Steven asks, laying down on the hillside beside me, looking for a vein to stick his small silver needles through.

"I'm not sure."

"Luke Hemmings missing a party? Someone alert the fucking queen," he mocks and I push his shoulder, causing him to roll over a little, but then he's quickly righting his position beside me.

"You're a twat," I remark. "If I go alone, trouble will be caused and you of all people should know. Cooper's parties aren't all fun and games. I invited Calum. I really just want him to come with me so we can spend the night together, but I don't know. He's reluctant about it."

"Why would you want your boyfriend to come?" He asks.

"I don't know. It'll probably make the party less boring honestly and besides, he'll keep me out of trouble," I tell him honeslty, blowing out more smoke rings at a rhythm.

"What if he doesn't want to go?" Steven continues to ask questions.

"Shit, you ask a lot of questions when you're high," I retort. "If he doesn't want to go, then I won't make him, but I won't go either and I'll take him trick-or-treating instead," I say shyly for a second at the thought of taking a 17-year-old boy trick-or-treating.

Images go through my head of Calum excited, walking about the neighborhood with me hand-in-hand, collecting candy and having small children mock us.

"You're so whipped, it's disgusting," Steven laughs, almost choking on smoke.

"Karma's a bitch and don't talk as if you've never been pussy whipped before," I laugh off. Then, sudden realization hits me as I process what I said and I quickly find myself apologizing.