Chapter 24

The school hallways are completely empty as I begin to make my way towards my locker. I don't know how late I actually am, but I know I should be in Maths. As I unlock the combination lock and swing open my locker, I groan, thinking that the only seat that will be available is the one next to Luke, only because that just always seems to be my luck.

I don't want to sit next to him. Who does he think he is? He can't just be sweet for five seconds, then go back to being an asshole because of his stupid rep or his so called 'friends'. I roll my eyes and laugh at the bullshit excuse he gave me this morning of worrying about what his friends will think. Why is he even friends with them if he's so worried about what they'll say about him? Why do his friend even hate me so much? Well, the actual question should be why does Michael hate me so much? I already have tons of guesses as to why Tyler hates me and a sly smile crosses my facial expression as I think about them. And Ashton, well I feel like he only joins in. He probably doesn't even have a care for me at all. He just assaults me because his friends do.

As the word assault releases in my thoughts, flashbacks from my first day of being thrown in the lockers and kicked in the stomach multiple times come back into play. I hold my stomach in remberance of all the pain I actually felt that afternoon.

I'm pulling out my math textbook and stuffing my book bag with books for the day as I suddenly hear a faint slam of a door. Ignoring it completely, I shut my locker and lock the combination. The last thing I need is for a purple-headed asshole going through my locker and ruining my things for whatever it is I've done to him.

Slinging my now heavy book bag over my shoulder, I begin my walk down the hallway quietly, being devoured by my thoughts lingering in my head. Maybe it's good. Maybe it's best for me and Luke to be distant and not with each other at all, no type of communication. Then, maybe I can rid myself of these feelings once again and I can spare my mother the disappoint and heartache of her son being...well I don't know.

Thoughts of Vanessa and I over the years replay in my mind. How happy my mother was the day I told her I liked Vanessa, how naïve I was, the day I told her we started becoming a thing. She was happy. Everything seemed happy then. Even my father was somewhat tolerant and happy with my mother. Sometimes, if I think about it long enough, I always seem to wish to turn back time to then, that middle period of everything, where everything was calm and happy. But they always say there's calm before the storm and the frightening thing about that statement is I don't even know how bad the storm will be.

As I'm walking in silence, I pass a couple doors. Some classrooms, occasionally a janitor closet or two, but as I make my way down the hall to turn the corner, I'm quickly pulled into a dark janitor's closet.

Almost off instinct, I begin to push whoever it is put me in this dark room against the nearest something, whatever it is. A wall? I think. The light flicks on and I see a scared Luke under me pushed against the wall.

Immediately, I release my strong hold of him against the wall and step a good distance away from him. I'm beyond angry with him and I won't let him know anything but that.

"Jesus! Calum, who did you think I was? A rapist?" he says and I cringe.

"No, I just got scared. Sorry," I say focusing my gaze on a bucket on the floor beside him.

"Why aren't you in Maths?"

"What aren't you in Maths, Lucas?" I ask rudely.

"Because you aren't."

"Well, I had to walk there," I say while rolling my eyes, "and then I had to go to my locker and get my things. I was on my way 'till your maniac ass wanted to push me into a horribly smelling janitor's closet."