Chapter 59

The two of us slept through the next morning. Well, Calum slept through the entire morning, placed closely into my arms as I watched him latch onto me for comfort.

A part of me could tell he was desperately fighting against himself to wake up. Sleeping in my arms was his escape from reality, but that could only last for so long.

As minutes turned into hours, there finally was a time when he did begin to stir in my arms, letting out a muffled yawn into my chest at the realization he can't fake sleep forever.

But when he awoke, there was sweat beading down his forehead and he began to shake against me, causing myself to question if he was faking sleep for comfort or fighting against himself to wake up from a nightmare playing in his head at that moment.

I got my answer when his eyes landed on mine, assuring himself that it was indeed only me in the room as he pulled me in closer, silently crying against my chest. His body was shaking, his skin cold which contradicted the sweat beading down his face and throughout it all, my heart fell. It felt alternated in many ways for the boy I desperately tried to soothe with whispered sweet nothing's and kisses to the temple.

And soon enough, his body fell still. His crying subsided as he finally did come to realize that whatever pyschological tricks his mind was playing against him was over while he snuggled further into my arms, wiping away at his tear-stained face.

"You're alright. Ok, love? It's just me," I whisper against his ear calmly.

Despite the glorious holiday approaching us, it's decision day. Calum needs to make a decision as to how he wants to handle yesterday's happenings and the decision is completely his to make.

I've been thinking about what'd he do all night, thinking about what I've done in my situation, and everything in my being is telling me to make sure he goes to the police. Calum won't ever get peace unless he does. He won't ever feel safe without knowing he tried to get justice handed to the horrid trio that've targeted him for who knows how long.

Calum and I say nothing while in each other's arms, but I can tell by the way his chest rises and falls against mine that he's still awake, contemplating many inner demons that I want nothing more than to just silence within him for the rest of his life.

He's come such a long way, such a long way, and in a matter of minutes, his self-esteem and self-confidence was shattered, ripped away by three males, two who's ultimate goal was to make me suffer in life.

I won't ever understand what I did to Michael to deserve such treatment, but maybe that's the point.

Because last night with Michael's vaguely spoken words and harsh demeanor, I was never meant to see the real Michael. I never did because his actual self is nonexistent. I was never meant to understand Michael. I was probably never meant to leave Michael. I was his usage of emotions he needed to mimic, emotions he desperately needed to mimic to seem normal, and I can't think of a more emotional time for me than back when I was with him.

That explains why he took interest in Calum, manipulating him into thinking he cared for him deeply. Michael needed compassion to radiate off and mimic, needed deep love, strength and suffering to mimic if he wanted Calum to believe such a sob story and fall under his spell, and who better than to have around to mimic those human emotions from than a boy who's too good for his own good, Calum.

Maybe Michael's a sociopath, feeding off of human emotions to trick people in despair, pain, sorrow and suffering. For so long, I though Michael being psychotic explained his outburst, his particular behavior, but little did I know the two correspond hand in hand, making Michael who he truly is, who I truly believe he is.