Chapter 33

Calum's POV

I'm awakened by a loud door slamming shut and I'm startled. Instead of getting up to see who or what caused the noise, I freeze suddenly, making no movement until I realize I can't. Luke's restraining me from any major movement. Our legs are tangled together with his arm wrapped around me tightly, holding me in a position where I'm laying on his chest as his head lays on mine.

Suddenly, last night starts playing in my mind and I remember him coming to get me. I couldn't take that house. I couldn't stay there. My mother had ended up coming back down the stairs yelling in an anger-filled rage. She slammed against my door multiple times, begging for me to come out and face her, but I didn't because I couldn't, not when she was that angry and filled with all that sudden disappointment when the words escaped my lips and clicked in her head.

Hearing her yelling in the living room made my crying stronger. I knew she couldn't stand me in that moment. She kept going on about how I was just like my farther, a no good douchebag who shouldn't be on the face of the earth, or something along those lines.

I remember hearing her climb the stairs as I went to call Luke last night while trying to calm my cries. I didn't want him to worry. He was out with his friends. I tried to restrain from calling him. Hell, I even tried to call Michael first so I wouldn't be interrupting Luke from whatever he chose to do. But I guess fate wasn't in my favor last night because Michael didn't pick up. I probably wouldn't even have confided in him and I most likely wouldn't have felt the comfort that helped me pull through last night that could only seem to be provided by Luke.

After realizing calling Michael was stupid, I called Luke, my cries somewhat held. I needed, God, I fucking needed him and I wasn't going to deny it.

To say I felt broke and empty was an understatement. I still don't feel any better, but the empty feeling within me seemed to lighten and the disappoint I see in myself isn't as strongly fueled.

When I had left my room after packing night stuff for Luke's, I went to the living room to see the whole thing destroyed. Family pictures of us that once hung on the walls proudly now stood scattered on ground either crumpled or ripped in pieces.

I'm snapped out of my flashback when I hear shuffling around the room, and a scuff noise followed by a shout.

Luke begins to stir against me and immidiately wakes up, surprised by the noise coming from a female's mouth, his mom I presume.

Luke gets up rather quickly to sit up in his bed as I just lay there, unaware of what to do.

"Mom, what the hell are you doing in here?"

"Lucas Roberts Hemmings, that language isn't tolerated here," she says back as I peak from beneath the covers to see her.

She's holding a laundry basket, picking clothes up around his room. Luke stares at her eagerly awaiting for her departure, but it doesn't happen. He looks down at me and places the covers over me, hiding me from her.

"Who's in that bed with you, Lucas?"

"No one," he stutters and I can't help but hold in a laugh at how nervous he's suddenly growing.

"Lucas, who's in the bed?"

"Mom, would I lie to you? No, I wouldn't," he answers his own question for her.

"I swear if it's Tyler-" she trails off and suddenly the sheets are being yanked from over my head and I'm met with an angry Mrs. Hemmings.

Her expression seems to completely soften when she realizes it's me and not Tyler and I try to send her back at least a half smile, but to no avail.