-When everything just disappears [Chapter 46]

Ashley's POV:

Different people were here to before. It was all quick and fast paced. People rushing past me with trays of coffee, some with clipboards in hand and a pencil behind an ear, some pushing clothe racks with various items of clothing on, some just simply running around muttering to themselves about tasks for the day as they dodged each other and now me as I now realised I was stood in the middle of the doorway. Hastily stepping aside I noticed a man of about his thirty’s watching my every move from a nearby desk an un-readable expression on his face.

The shy and intimidated person inside of me creeping out I tried my best to steady my posture and set my expression in the straight and set in one that they all seemed to wear around here. When I looked over to the man, he stared straight back at me. Then pushing his glasses further up his nose he rose from his chair and began walking towards me. Shit, what do I do? Keep calm and think confident, I’m in NYC.

“Can I help you?”

His voice was deep and accusing.

“My names Ashley Dawson, in case you didn’t know. I’m here for a few trail hours, I am expected, if you’d like to check that with your boss or whatever”

Wow, bitchy.

“Oh you’re the Ashley Dawson?”

The title of ‘the’ was one which hadn’t been used to me formally before and at first I wondered if he had mistaken me for another Ashley Dawson but his voice was so genuine and suddenly different.

“From London, yes. I believe I saw Mr Thomas for my interview for my position of management of key design and photography I also believe that involved a matter of accounting as well, am I correct?”

“Of course, Miss Dawson. Right this way, here let me take your coat”

“Oh no, I prefer to keep my outerwear on thanks”

“Right, of course. I can’t tell you how privileged Mr Thomas feels to have you with us today; it’s been the talk in the office all morning”

He informed me. Wow, I’m more popular and well known then I was first aware of.

“I’m sure it was”

I was introduced to a fair amount of people all seemingly equally please to meet me, if only Faye could see me now. Now I had about half an hour left and I came to realise that the sick feeling and light headed feeling that had been running through me since I had arrived at the train station was not nerves, in fact hunger.

Whatever, another hour and a bit and I’d sure enough be forced to eat. I’ll be fine. I ignored the feeling and started on my last part of this trial. Accounting.

Maths had never been my best neither my worst subject at school. I was in the top-set and always beat my target in exams and came out with an A but it didn’t mean I liked it at all. Punching a few numbers into the calculator I narrowed my eyes as the digits appeared to be blurred and another surge of sickness ran through me. I shook it off taking another sip of the sparkling water I had been given, my vision re-gaining and my stomach bloating from the drink blocking out the hunger.

A headache was beginning to form now and I rubbed my temples as if doing this would cure it, sometimes it did, most of the time it didn’t. I looked back up at the clock, 2 freaking minutes. You know what? Let’s just pack up now.

I dropped the pencils back into the pot underlining the final number and placing the calculator back in its place. I was done. I need to see Niall.

-

“I’m sorry Miss, you have no ID, you’ll have to queue up like the rest of em’”

“I have freaking ID!”